Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4tec jet pump cone grease

I've just replaced my jetpump, and kinda surrounded the bearing and semi-filled the cone with grease.
    I am having trouble understanding the purpose of filling the cone with grease since I doubt that 1 bit of it will reach the bearings themselves. Rather any excess grease will spin-off into the cone.

Does anyone have an answer for this? Does heat actually draw some of the grease in?

On the 2 strokes we've filled the cone with synthetic oil, which obviously could flow throughout the moving parts.
    Last edited by njseadooer; 03-22-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njseadooer View Post
    I've just replaced my jetpump, and kinda surrounded the bearing and semi-filled the cone with grease.
    I am having trouble understanding the purpose of filling the cone with grease since I doubt that 1 bit of it will reach the bearings themselves. Rather any excess grease will spin-off into the cone.

Does anyone have an answer for this? Does heat actually draw some of the grease in?

On the 2 strokes we've filled the cone with synthetic oil, which obviously could flow throughout the moving parts.
    Its better then nothing and yeah kind of a bad design. A lot of people here fill there cones with synthetic gear oil.

Quote Originally Posted by njseadooer View Post

where are you located in NJ?

yes it is a very poor design. Like Redevil said many people buy an aluminum tail cone from skat trak and fill it with synthetic gear lube. I think its possible to use the stock cone and fill it with gear lube but it will be messier to change. you would have to change the gear lube out every 15 hours of use.

Quote Originally Posted by mxl16 View Post
    where are you located in NJ?

yes it is a very poor design. Like Redevil said many people buy an aluminum tail cone from skat trak and fill it with synthetic gear lube. I think its possible to use the stock cone and fill it with gear lube but it will be messier to change. you would have to change the gear lube out every 15 hours of use.
    I emailed skat about one of these cones and they said i needed the 3 bearing mod to put it on. unless they were feeding me a line of bull to get me to buy the 3 bearing mod

Or you could take the pump off and tip the original plastic cone down and pull it off that way.........then drain it and refill with gear oil........

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    Or you could take the pump off and tip the original plastic cone down and pull it off that way.........then drain it and refill with gear oil........
    exactly, it would take a few minutes but the bearings would be better lubricated.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I emailed skat about one of these cones and they said i needed the 3 bearing mod to put it on. unless they were feeding me a line of bull to get me to buy the 3 bearing mod
    ive heard of people using them w/o the triple bearing mod. i dont see why you have to have the triple mod to use a alum. tail cone.

why not just drill and tap the stock cone and put a NPT plug in it?

Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    why not just drill and tap the stock cone and put a NPT plug in it?
    the stock cone isnt solid, its almost like its double walled. next time take it off have a close look at it. the problem would be when you open the drain plug to drain the lube out, it would spill into the gap inbetween the "inner wall" and "outer wall", thus spilling onto the pump housing since there is no seal and then u would have to take the pump off the ski and the take the cone off neway. which is what you would have to do if you just left cone alone and used gear lube.

+1
    What we have been doing in Yami-land for a few years now, is working out quite nice. I first heard about it from Fercho.

Mix 50/50 synthetic gear oil, and synthetic marine grease, into a thick runny paste. It will stay thick enough not to pass the seals yet gets into the bearings themselves.

I haven't tried it on the SD pump, but I can't see why it would be any different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information