Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB Polaris 1200 Direct Port Injection Ski

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum. I wanted to buy a 2000-2003 Polaris Genesis I Direct Port Injection Ski.
    I have a 2002 Genesis I and I love it! I have a second ski that I want to get rid of either in a trade or sale. It's a 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple with a little over 300hrs on it. It's a good running ski, with all the service records included.
    If anyone has a line on a Genesis I....let me know. I'm on the hunt for one.
    Last edited by K447; 02-24-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Are you OK with buying one that needs repairs?

Do you do your own maintenance on the 2002 Genesis i that you currently own?

I am ok buying one with maintenance that needs to be done to it. Ide be willing to buy one that needs work, but I would need to know all that needs to be done to it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchin510 View Post
    I am ok buying one with maintenance that needs to be done to it.

I'd be willing to buy one that needs work, but I would need to know all that needs to be done to it.
    Well, every Polaris watercraft is now at least ten years old. A 2002 model would be twelve years old.

I can say that the vast majority of older watercraft (any brand) have several kinds of problems:
    Problems the owner knows about, and may or may not tell the buyer.
    Problems the owner has a suspicion about or little things that are not quite right, but to the seller are 'no big deal'
    Problems the seller is completely unaware of and thinks there is no issue.
    Problems the buyer may not notice or cannot check without taking the machine apart.
    Problems that happen sometime after the new owner starts using the watercraft.

It is very difficult to purchase any brand of older watercraft and have certainty that no major issues or extensive repairs will be required. Even if it looks fantastic on the outside, clean under the seat and has extremely low running hours. You just don't know what condition all the internal parts are in. In many cases, neither does the seller.

This is the primary reason why many of the guys on this forum would rather, themselves, purchase a watercraft that definitely needs the engine rebuilt. The reduced up front purchase price then reflects the estimates for rebuilding the engine and inspecting everything else while the engine is out.

Once the newly rebuilt engine is properly installed into the fully inspected and serviced hull, NOW you can have a reasonable expectation of reliability.

I currently own two Polaris Ficht engined watercraft, a Virage TXi and an MSX 140. I have owned several other Ficht PWC. Overall I have found them to be generally reliable, but that does not mean there were zero problems.

If I was shopping today I would be resistant to paying 'runs great' prices unless the machine was in spectacular condition.

Price-wise the best deals are typically found with Ficht models that need EMM module repair or full engine rebuild. Sometimes you can get lucky and the problem cause is an easy and inexpensive fix, once you get it home.

Banned User
    Last edited by chc3; 01-12-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Awesome find man! Thanks a lot! I'm going to pick it up Saturday. The guy just wants it gone. The motor is locked up. So, it'll need a full rebuild. This should be fun. I have the 2002 that is good condition. So, hopefully I can reference that. But, I'm sure I'll be hitting this forum with any questions.

Banned User

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chc3 View Post
    it will be easy you have a complete running ski to take good parts off of to see whats wrong with this ski.

this machine will need just pistons and probably fuel regulator.
    I think it seized because of no fuel pessure. this ski i think will cost 400 to fix is the emm if not bad.

I would not even bore the cylinders just hone them out and put new piston in.
    Are you talking about this Sacramento 2000 Genesis?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	323585

Looks like lots of parts have been pulled out and who knows what was done during the attempted 'repairs'.

Until it is thoroughly inspected there is no telling what will be required.

Banned User

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chc3 View Post
    ... I talk to the guy they started to rebuild but the owner changed his mind too much money.

all parts are there they said motor was lock up...
    Seeing that the circuit breakers are missing from the electrical box makes me suspect it is something of a basket case, not just a mechanical repair.

Hopefully the fuel injectors are still present along with the EMM...

As I said, we won't know until a thorough inspection is done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information