Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What is the average life of a supercharge clutch

I have a 2012 FX SHO with the 2013 clutch from the factory. The ski has 92 hours and I am trying to decide when to change out the clutch. My ski has the stock supercharger, but I do ride it pretty hard. I would prefer to change it early instead of waiting until it fails on the water.

I have seen the FAQ on changing the clutch. Do you need the $90 clutch tool to remove the center bolt or is there another way to keep the motor from spinning?

Thanks.

+1
    My stage 2 FZR went 120 hours before it went...................my uncles stage 1FZS has 250 hours and still going...fyi

+1
    If you have a good one stick with it !! The Captain tells me this.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipL View Post
    I have a 2012 FX SHO with the 2013 clutch from the factory. The ski has 92 hours and I am trying to decide when to change out the clutch. My ski has the stock supercharger, but I do ride it pretty hard. I would prefer to change it early instead of waiting until it fails on the water.

Thanks.
    There is no average. We have close to 250 hrs each on two of them now. It depends on your riding style, conditions, whether or not you understand how to control the throttle, etc.

5. +1 by:

+1
    If you have a 2012 with the 2013 clutch set is it a late production ski that came with the 2013 clutch setup or was it upgraded by some one to the 2103 kit? Either way the 2013 kit seems to last and last and last hit the water and don't wory about it IMO, Tommy Jordan

+1
    Throttle control?? Who would want to do that?

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipL View Post
    Throttle control?? Who would want to do that?
    When your ski comes unhooked, modulating the throttle can make your clutch last longer, those of us who started out riding supercharged Seadoos learned this a long time ago.

2013 clutch is good production
    I did race on bad clutch runabout stock last race and it hold till the last second no baring Failure

+1
    I lost a brand new 2009 with 12 hours on it...at the Hydrodrags. I got the '13 now...

+1
    It will depend on a lot of things ie: riding style, conditions, luck of the draw lol. We have stage 1 and stage 2 2012 FX SHO's and the clutches are averaging between 25-30 hours before failure. I have 60 hours on my stage 2 since new and I am on my 3rd clutch. My buddy's stage 1 is on his second after 45-50 hours. I also have a stage 2 FZR that my GF rides and I upgraded to the 2013 version last year and she has about 15-20 hours on it now and runs perfect so far but she also doesn't ride as aggressive as we do so I see that one going further in life than my FX. Not sure how well they will hold up in a stock ski but another buddy of mine has a pair of stock 2013 FX SHO's that we will be keeping an eye on to see how long his lasts in similar conditions. The clutches are designed to fail at some point so whether someone gets 30 hours or 300 hours on one, it will fail at some point. Just keep it in mind that it is designed to relieve stress in the system and will wear out, takes about 2 hours to change one out and costs about $400 to replace one. A small price to pay to play with boost I guess.

The good news is, it is self contained so when it does fail you can still ride it home. The engine usually doesn't suck any of the debris through causing internal engine damage so makes for an easy swap out. It sucks it happens at all but better this way than what some other designs have done to engines when failure was inevitable. This bothers some and doesn't bother others so if you don't care about a little more maintenance for the added performance of the SC, then just ride until it looses boost, replace and ride on. I don't have a warranty on mine as it was a stage 2 from birth but if you leave it stock, the clutch may be covered under warranty so if you have YES, you may not have to worry about out of pocket expenses on this for awhile. I would check into that though to confirm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information