Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Cost/difficulty of remaning 951di's?

Looking at a pair 01 and 02 gtx di skis. I got some pics posted in my other thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...69#post2334369

They both suposably ran 6 months ago with low compreasion on one cyl each. Havnt checked compreasion myself, but thinking of worse case scenario what would it take $ to go though the whole moter? Also how costly is injection system repairs assuming injection system might of caused lean condition. My thought thus far is the wrong oil was used. Oil in the bottom of one indicates line failure. I know I am being very broad here, but just trying to get a worse case scenario so I dont get in too deep and then hope for the best.

Thanks for te help in advance.

+1
    Worst case in my opinion would be an sbt motor, candoo license to scan codes and troubleshoot. Then maybe add 10%

+1
    Thanks candoo something to reserch. As far as tne motor I looked at sbt before posting this, but tney want $1600. That is what made me post this. I got to think that a crank at $500 and then a few houndred to redoo the top end, I would be better off doing it myself. Since I dont know much about seadoos I figured I would ask here to see what I am missing.

+1
    I rebuild my own engines. Sbt would just be my worst case if motor is totally nuked.

Candoo lets you read service codes, program lanyards, and adjust timing and other service related things. It is either that or you take it to the dealer to read codes.

+1
    The DI motor is the most complicated and misunderstood engine SeaDoo built. They are a problem child even for people that know them. Do yourself a favor and find you some carb skis. You will be much happier in the end !!

6. +1 by:

+1
    learn how to work on a di and the finished product is amazing, but as complicated as they are MANY good techs will get over there head and be left with a parts machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    learn how to work on a di and the finished product is amazing, but as complicated as they are MANY good techs will get over there head and be left with a parts machine.
    I agree that when they are running properly they are amazing. I have an RXDI and a RX carb and love both of them. The carb is a touch faster but the DI is much better on fuel. That being said I also work on them for a living and have had very good luck with the DI engine. But most people get lost in the electrical system and the whole air compressor, air and fuel injector setup. Plus the repair parts are very expensive. If I did not have the experience and parts availability that I do I would certainly not own a SeaDoo DI machine. However they are good for business so I guess I should be telling everyone to buy one.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I have had alot of these skis come through my shop and they are great skis, seen a few that had 340 hours on a untouched motor, but getting lower compression and in need of a Rebuild, I have seen the Bottom of these motors blow out and hard to check to be sure if its the oil line or ??? sounds like maybe 2 money pits for you. but then again also how much they want for them? If only less then a $1000 then a good deal. the MPEMs are wourth a fast $250 each if you had to part them out if you could not fix them.

+1
    I work on FAR more carberated 951s than dis. Yes, the carb version is simple to fix. Most dis I have seen still have the original motors at 200+ hours. The added electronics on the dis add complexity, but also allows for increase reliability-- seadoo did not just add a bunch of shit onto a carberated 951 for the hell of it. I think for the $500 original price difference the dis were sold for seadoo lost their ass and were a great buy, but you can not have your back yard mechanic or MOST dealers ruin a good thing-- MANY horror stories

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I agree that when they are running properly they are amazing. I have an RXDI and a RX carb and love both of them. The carb is a touch faster but the DI is much better on fuel. That being said I also work on them for a living and have had very good luck with the DI engine. But most people get lost in the electrical system and the whole air compressor, air and fuel injector setup. Plus the repair parts are very expensive. If I did not have the experience and parts availability that I do I would certainly not own a SeaDoo DI machine. However they are good for business so I guess I should be telling everyone to buy one.

Very True.. One thing I always tell people when buying one or I am selling one is: 1:Run prem gas all the time. 2: run DI OR RFI seadoo oil only( I am an amsoil man) but seadoo is safe bet. There is a difference from carb syn then the DI/RFI oil MORE ON THE DI side do to the oil that is needed to lube the vac pump right?
    3: The only reason they jumped into rfi and di is emissions control. So in turn this made a carbed motor with a computer controlled fuel delivery feel like it was ready and warmed up the minute you start it. NOT You should always start let idle for a min and then ride under 5000-6000 rpms for the 1st 5mins just to make sure you are all warmed up and lubed up before you "drive it like you stole it" 4: End of day or year of riding... The most imortant thing to do each time you are done for the day is to take it out of the water rev the motor 3 or 4 times to push out the water from the exhaust. If it is going to sit for some time make sure to get the tank of gas down to a couple of gallons only put a little stable in tank and once you are ready to drop in the water to start the next season fill tank to top with prem fresh fuel. 5: NEW top of line battery every two years even if its seems fine.. The stator and rectifier are made for carb style set ups but are expected to run a whole new rfi electric system. New battery helps keep all systems running right and will help you not need to replace a rectifier every two years.. TOP OF LINE BATTERY means sealed and high cranking amps.. I love batteries plus two year warranty battery $110 but in spring there is always a rebate.
    1001: If your not a handy man and don't have lots of cash I would pass and move to carb or 4tec.
    Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information