+1

Gopro housing mounting question

I have an older Gopro that has the wrist housing. I am looking to purchase a regular housing, but am having a hard time understanding how it attaches to other mounts. Basically I am looking to get a suction cup mount for it. I would like to purchase the mount at the same time as the housing. This is the housing I am looking at:

http://www.gpscity.ca/gopro-hero-sta...placement.html

I am thinking that this one would work:

http://www.gpscity.ca/gopro-suction-mount.html

+1
    on the 1st link when you look at the housing mouse over the picture so its bigger. you will see at the bottom a black clip that says gopro. the housing is attached to the clip with a thumbscrew i do not have a wrist strap for mine but all mounts more or less work the same. in the pic you will see the housing attached to the clip with the thumbscrew and then that is slid into an adhesive mount. hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	323751

Edit: so i looked at gopros website and saw the wrist strap for the original Hero. that is a completely different housing. I see why you would be wondering. Take a look at this link http://gopro.com/camera-mounts and you will see how the regular housing attach to all kinds of mounts.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Chicken is right. The wrist strap is so completely different than anything else. When you buy a true housing they give you everything but the mounts. Both my go Pro have different housings. Also be aware of knockoff go Pro accessories. They are not good at all.

+1
    this is what i have learned with gopro parts. just like bryant said.. watch out for knockoffs there are a TON out there ebay is full of them.

make sure where ever you buy it from references the gopro part number. example the p/n for your gopro housing is AHDRH-001. Companies may have their own which is fine but the last thing you want is to buy one and your camera gets soaked. the only safe thing when it comes to how its attached are thumb screws if you want another color than black. personally i like the ones this guy makes http://www.ebay.com/itm/271172882303...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

cases - gotta go gopro
    thumbscrews - up to you
    mounts (adhesive, handlebar, suction cup ect) - gotta be gopro
    tethers - up to you
    lens filters (polarized, scuba ect) - up to you. polar pro make some nice ones.
    extra batteries - gopro or wasabi

when you buy your housing you should get the housing, a thumbscrew and quick release buckle. the other things you will need are just mounts. adhesive is the most popular. when i doubt on anything gopro related do a Google search for gopro forums and search there. that's how i found the wasabi batteries to be very close to the same specs of the gopro batteries but you get 2, a charger and car charger for around $25.

+1
    I find Alot of stuff on the air force base on clearance and stock up. I bought and extended battery and another case all gopro made for 23$. I could not believe it.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Let me tell you my experience with GoPro, and you will fully understand why you should only use GoPro products.

I was returning from a ride. Had a GoPro on my 'chesty' w/ 'floaty' in the glovebox. Found a bit of a rogue wave/wake in the bay. Catapulted me. and the ski: NOT in a controlled fashion, either.

Got back to my ski, which managed to land right side up. Although it apparently wasn't that way through-out it's riderless tumble. The glove-box was open, and 1/2 full of water. The GPH2(GoProHero2) and the chesty were gone, as well as the keys to my Avalanche.

The 'floaty' back-door is supposed to float a H2 should it be lost in the water - it will NOT float a H2 w/ 'chesty' strap attached.

Contacted GP with the results of my incident. GP wrote back and stated that if I would send them photo-proof of purchase they would help me out.

Submitted my photo. GP stated this(para-phrased):
    Had the GoPro been properly worn, rather than stored it would not have been lost. They also stated that even though I was not properly wearing my GPH2 they would extend a 50%off offer for me to replace the lost camera.

There was another member here whos GPH2 mount failed and inspite of a 'floaty' back-door the unit was lost. - GoPro replaced EVERYTHING lost @ no cost to the member...

I, personally, have never had a GP 'sticky mount' fail - EVER. I have one all the way out on the front of the ski. As close as I can get it to water level w/o going under the bond-line of the hull. There have been multiple times that mount has endured the on-rush of 1000's of gallons of water rushing past/over it with the camera attached (ALWAYS tethered) and never a failed attachment.

Its always a good idea to tether the camera. Don't skip the 'floaty' back-door either.
    Enjoy your GP, but spend the money for the right stuff.

You do this and you will be a very happy vidiographer, that will stand behind the GoPro product as much as everyone else - including GoPro. You won't find better product support anywhere in the industry.

+1
    I was not that impressed with Gopro's customer service. I contacted them to get the part number that I need for my Gopro and even after sending them pictures of it, they told me they didn't have them anymore and couldn't even supply me a part number so I could find it elsewhere. I am 80% sure the one that I found is the correct one but won't know for sure it until I receive it.

I find this odd considering in their 6-7 years of selling Gopro's they have introduced less than 10 models of their camera.

Liquid Chicken, I have a GTR like you. Are you using the flat or curved adhesive base? What arm would I need to have a shorter version than in your picture? I think I will go the same route as you instead of the suction cup mount.

I picked up a pair of the Liquid Image goggles on closeout but figured I would get this gopro up and running as well while I can still find the correct housing for it.

My Gopro is one of the first generations, so it still uses AAA Lithiom Ion batteries. I found that all the rechargable AAA batteries were only 1.2 V and did not have enough juice to run it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    I was not that impressed with Gopro's customer service. I contacted them to get the part number that I need for my Gopro and even after sending them pictures of it, they told me they didn't have them anymore and couldn't even supply me a part number so I could find it elsewhere. I am 80% sure the one that I found is the correct one but won't know for sure it until I receive it.

I find this odd considering in their 6-7 years of selling Gopro's they have introduced less than 10 models of their camera.

Liquid Chicken, I have a GTR like you. Are you using the flat or curved adhesive base? What arm would I need to have a shorter version than in your picture? I think I will go the same route as you instead of the suction cup mount.

I picked up a pair of the Liquid Image goggles on closeout but figured I would get this gopro up and running as well while I can still find the correct housing for it.

My Gopro is one of the first generations, so it still uses AAA Lithiom Ion batteries. I found that all the rechargable AAA batteries were only 1.2 V and did not have enough juice to run it.

i have 2 of the flat mounts on the ski. in the pic that i posted that is as short as you will be able to get. one thing on the rear mount i found after i installed the adhesive mount, move it closer to the rear of the ski. reason being is unless you have a wrench (find them on ebay) you cant get a screw driver in there to tighten it unless you have an angled one. since that pic i have switched to the J hook mount to raise it up a little more.

Name:	IMG_5171.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	323902

this one is also a flat mount but it will be tilted just due to how the ski was made so i use 2 pivot mounts (short and long) so i can make the cam level with the ski. personally i don't like how high it is and will eventually get more of the short pivots. using 2 lets me move the cam left, right, tilt up down.. ect. im a tad OCD with having it level.

just as raceneked said... tether tether tether. the one in the above pic is a big kahuna brand. https://www.facebook.com/BigKahunacameramounts i went with the 24 inch one so i have lots of room to add more mounts later one. below is how i have it attached when the gopro is at the back of the ski.

Name:	IMG_5173.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	323903

i am thinking about adding one to each side of the ski and that tether will attached to the built in tie down. the only thing that is a mush that i do not have is a floaty backdoor. that will change shortly.

Thread Information