Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought my first ski, 09 FZR, have some questions

Alright guys, so like the title says I just bought my first ski, its an 09 FZR with 184 hours when I bought it. I have lots of experience with 2 strokes, from karting, and riding quads, but much less experience with supercharged 4 strokes.

According to the previous owner a new supercharger clutch was installed about 10 hours ago.

I am already planning to take the ski in to Riva next week to have standard maintenance and a valve clearance check performed.

Anyway, the previous owner showed me his iphone app GPS runs all in the 79.2 - 79.8 mph range in freshwater.
    This past weekend, I used the maxspeed app and only ran 73.6 mph best. Now from what I understand these apps are fairly accurate, at least accurate enough to not see a 6 mph difference. So I am of course a bit worried that something is up with the ski.

I have an innovate MTX-L that should be here tomorrow so I can see how the AFR's are doing this weekend.

These are the mods I know about:

- Riva "Gen 2" intercooler with HKS BOV
    - Riva Intake
    - Riva FF exhaust
    - Riva E1 wheel - this I do not know for a fact but he said the wheel was 16psi @ 8000rpm
    - Riva Engine Breather - only mod I have done myself so far
    - Solas R impeller - Im guessing the one Riva sells with their kits
    - R&D Intake Grate
    - R&D Sponsons
    - Ride plate - I honestly don't know what plate is on there, I am assuming it has been changed based on the other mods, maybe if I post a picture you guys can help identify it?
    - Riva Intake Manifold - I am also assuming this has been done, based on the other mods

On a side note: I ran one tank of gas through it that was 90 octane, non - ethanol recreational fuel, all other fuel has been 93 octane from the pump. From my knowledge this shouldn't have effected anything, but I thought I would note it.

So to sum up some questions:

Do you guys think I am safe to go out riding this weekend?
    Is there anything standing out that I urgently need to do other than take it in for maintenance?
    What speeds should I be seeing with the above mods?
    Should I be worried about the 6mph difference in iphone app GPS readings?
    Can my ride plate be identified with an iphone picture without removing it?
    Any problems switching from 93 pump to 90 non-ethanol fuel?
    Also, I am thinking that a RRFPR and upgraded supercharger shaft and bearing are likely urgent mods, I will ride the ski mostly in the ocean.

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

+1
    Seems like with those mods, it would also have a reflash. With a reflash, it should easily be an 80 MPH ski with an E1 wheel.
    Aftermarket rideplates have the name brand on them visible without removing it. If there's no name on it, it's either a stock plate, or a VX Plate.
    With an E1, you should be running a RRFPR.

You should be safe to take it out this weekend. Check the oil and plugs first.

Oil is good to go. I will check to make sure no plugs are fouled and are all gapped to spec.

Question about that, once I pull the bolts off of the ignition coils, do I just pull straight up on the coils to slide them off?

To my knowledge and the previous owner's, the ECU is bone stock with no reflash.

The seeming loss of speed still has be concerned. I think even with no reflash and these mods I should still do better than 73.6 even if its just an iphone app?

+1
    With no aftermarket ECU or flash, I think the guy was pulling your chain on the 79+mph. You need to get a tach on the ski and see what rpm you are turning. Bet it's stock rpm, and if that is correct than the 73mph is probably the correct speed.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Yeah, pretty sure there is no way he was hitting 79+ without a reflash or a boost clamp. The E1 makes 16 psi at 8000 RPM, but on a stock ECU, you will not reach 8000 RPM even with a boost clamp because it will still be limited on RPM.

Ok cool, yea a tach is definitely on my to do list, with RRFPR, and eventually supercharger shaft and bearing. Also found out the ride plate is a stock VX plate.

Planning on probably getting an Athena ECU in a couple of months, but for now I guess I can just get a boost clamp to suck out some extra RPM?

+1
    Just don't keep it wot in choppy water. Feather on and off the throttle when she comes unhooked. That prolongs the s/c life.
    Nice ski!!!

Rip on....

+1
    look at the ecu and it will have R&D written on it. otherwise it be black or another color. id bet it is stock ecu plain jane black.

+1
    He may have an aftermarket ECU and swapped it out before selling

+1
    fx160 u could be right. either way he needs to look at his ecu to see what he has. if stock then needs to get a reflash or aftermarkeet ecu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information