Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

99 Slth...... Hoping for a simple project... Not so sure

Hey everyone!
    My name is Ron, I'm new here and new to ski's.
    I just found a pretty good deal on a 99 slth 700.
    I picked it up locally for $250 on a single trailer.
    It started right up with a new battery, but I didn't want to run it for anymore than a few seconds.
    I picked up replacement fuel lines, new battery, ordered some new spark plugs... I've been cleaning the hull which is pretty nasty inside.
    Well in dug into the carbs last night and noticed the diaphragm on the front carb was rather dry??
    I decided to do a compression test tonight and I got 120psi rear and 100 psi front.
    I'm trying to stay on a certain budget with this ski..... Don't see that happening now....
    What does everyone think?

Banned User
    +1
    I rebuilt one of these 3 years ago. Its really a nice little boat. The 700s have good power and are relatively cheap to rebuild. I would start by pulling the cylinder heads and taking a look. 100 PSI on the one cylinder is kind of low. Definitely plan on rebuilding and cleaning the carbs along with replacing the grey fuel lines if it still has them. Remove the jet pump, and inspect the condition of the impeller, bearings and seals. Find yourself the factory manual, its a huge help. If you can do the wrenching yourself, this won't get too expensive.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I rebuilt one of these 3 years ago. Its really a nice little boat. The 700s have good power and are relatively cheap to rebuild. I would start by pulling the cylinder heads and taking a look. 100 PSI on the one cylinder is kind of low. Definitely plan on rebuilding and cleaning the carbs along with replacing the grey fuel lines if it still has them. Remove the jet pump, and inspect the condition of the impeller, bearings and seals. Find yourself the factory manual, its a huge help. If you can do the wrenching yourself, this won't get too expensive.
    I was trying to get the cylinder heads off last night..... Trying being the key word.... For some reason I can't get them to lift off.... I can get them to rotate on the cylinder... But not off.
    I pulled the jet pump last night also and noticed the pump stator had some chunks missing....
    It has the ocean race ride plate, and worx sponsons.... What are these worth if I decide to call it quits and help someone else get their ski running?
    I also noticed when I was picking it up that there was a repair to the hull at one time.... Well I pulled the gas tank and looked inside and believe whoever fixed it hasn't a clue...
    Fiberglass repair on the inside of the smc hull.... I can grab the patch and pull half of it up..
    The fuel level sender wires are cut and terminated... Choke lever is busted off the start/stop assm.
    It's missing the fuel tank hold down assembly.... But other than that she's in pretty good shape.
    How would you guys recommend a hull repair? Pull everything out and flip it on its side?
    I'm trying to stay below $1000 on my budget.... All this may out me over...
    I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that of I'm going to invest more time and money than originally planned, I rather have a different platform that is more aftermarket friendly....
    Decisions decisions....
    Thanks for the help so far everyone, and please let me know what you think...
    I'm new to skis but not projects..

Banned User
    +1
    There is no hold down assemble for the fuel tank
    Its bolted down at the bottom of the tank. Its kind of hard to find the bolts but they are there. Get some epoxy resin and glass mat and have fun. You must use epoxy to repair smc.

+1
    I can't get these cylinder head covers off for the life of me.....
    Just pulled the jet puppumppuassembly....
    It's in contact with the bore.... What do I do here? New impeller and housing?
    I'm starting to think this will quickly become a money pit with no foreseeable profit if I decide to sell and upgrade when I'm done....
    Any suggestions?
    And if anyone knows how to get the cylinder head covers off, please please let me know.... I'm currently sitting here reading and looking at this ski in despair...

Banned User
    +1
    You will never make a profit bringing an old ski back to life. The idea behind doing these projects is to give yourself a better ski than you could have bought for the same money. In really good condition that ski could still fetch 1500 to 2000 bucks. Was this a salt water machine? Its kind of looking that way.

+1
    Yep..... Absolutely a salt water ski I'm in Sw Fl.
    Another quick question while I have you here.... I just opened my electrical box and am trying to figure out if I have the updated cdi....
    I'm not really looking for a profit..... At a minimum I would atleast like to break even if I were to sell it and upgrade if I decide skis are for me.
    Thanks again!

+1
    Any clue how to get the cylinder head covers off?

Banned User
    +1
    If you can twist the head covers just pull up and twist. There is an o ring that seals around the spark plug opening that gets tight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information