Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

free wheeling fuel rail torx screw

Ok here goes. I am a newbee to this site so please bear with me. I have a 2008 Sea Doo 215 GTX. I bought it new and until last year always had it professionally winterized. About 2 years ago at the beginning of the season the first time in the water the ski ran rough, coughed, missed and spuddered a bit. After a while the condition got better and seemed to run like it should. Last year first time out it acted the same and never seemed to recover completely. I also own a boat and have been able to winterize it. After talking to a few people and doing alot of reading in an effort to save a little money I decided to winterize the ski myself. Everything went smoothly and by the book. Changed oil and filter. Flushed moter with anti-freeze. Pulled plugs and fogged cylinders. I ran into the problem when I tried to remove the fuel injector rail. This thing is held into place with 2 torx screws. One of them backed out smootly and easily. The other however was rather tough to break free and when it did it just turned and turned and would not back out. I believe the rail is attached with these screws to the manifold. i kind of came to conclusion that the manifold was made up of some kind of composite material and perhaps these torx screws were threaded into a threaded sleeve. i assumed that the sleeve had broken free inside of the manifold causing it to spin freely. I have done lots of reading on this forum and have not run into a similiar problem. I also read that the SC should be rebuilt every 2 years. I have not done that. I have only got about 40 hours on the ski and would not think that the SC would need rebuilding. Did my stock ski come with ceramic SC clutch washers? I have read that these should be changed to steel. I would like to take care of these problems and get the ski running like a top again. Spring time is coming and I am dying to get back out on the water. Anybody having similiar problems with advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for being patient with this newbee.
    Last edited by bmatth; 02-27-2014 at 10:37 PM.

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk.

Banned User
    +1
    The bolt threads inside of a BRASS insert that is molded into the intake. Looks like the screw is seized, and it broke free...Simple fix, get a set of LOCKING VICE GRIPS and clamp down the the outside of where the insert is. This will keep it from spinning and give you a chance to back it out. Once out, try to remove the insert. If it can be reused, just JBWeld it back into place...

Your ski should have the OEM Titanium metal washers in them, gold in color...standard in 08....Even though you only have 40 hours on the SC, you should have it completely rebuilt with new bearings. Its cheap insurance, and you will be good for about 200 hours....or until you decide to upgrade the SC...

Where are you located?

Thanks Danny, I will give it a shot and see what i come up with. If I am unsuccessful or if this seems to be over my head what do you think this might cost at the Sea Doo shop? I am a first time ski owner and am a little nervous about taking on to much. whats the typical cost for SC rebuilkd? I am located in Fredericksburg Va. Thanks again,

Banned User
    +1
    Its a simple repair. Don't get too worried about it...

If you are unsure about wrenching, there should be a few active forum members near you that will be more than willing to give you some help. Best way to learn on these is by watching someone that knows there way around...

10-4. Thank you Danny. I will find the confidence and attempt it myself. If I run into problems. I'll be back.

One more question. Are the super charger bearings included in the rebuild kit or do these need to be ordered separately? I am going to send in the SC to be rebuilt and want to be sure that I have all the parts needed. Thanks again in advance for all your helpful information.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Just send it to Jerry (GreenHulk) and dont worry about it.....

Once I receive my newly rebuilt SC back from Jerry is it safe to assume that I can reinstall in reverse order? Use loc-tite on all fasteners? Is there anything else I need to look out for? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks,

+1
    Just double check everything ! and enjoy ! ..... my bolt in the inlet manifold was spinning like yours too , even with vise grips I couldn't get it out so after I got another manifold I cut the head off the bolt to get the fuel rail off and guess what ??? remaining bolt unscrewed with fingers !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information