Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris msx 150 reverse rpm limiter

hi iam new in the forum looking for some help with my msx 150. my problem is that reverse rpm limiter seems that its not working. when i start the engine on the trailer it rev to the full just over 8000rpm without touching the throttle and reverse is engaged. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There should be an electrical switch attached to the reverse lever mechanisim inside the hull.

Lift out the storage bucket and investigate whether the reverse position sensing switch is unplugged, damaged or out of position.

The Weber engined MSX have a reverse mechanism that is different shape from the original found in the MSX 140. I have previously documented the reverse switch operation for the MSX 140.

See my signature links for related info on fixing a 'binding' problem with the reverse mechanism.

How to repair a stiff or jammed Reverse lever on Virage, MSX, Genesis

ok i check that out thanks for your reply

+1
    how long till you kill the motor when it reves to full? sometimes it will Reve up then come back down, sometimes you have to play with the reverse when starting.

+1
    Welcome!

Yes... as K447 suggest... check that reverse switch on the inside of the hull attached to the reverse lever. If that checks (ohm meter) out working... then a bad SIFB is a very possible culprit.

This is the System IFB module... plugged into the wire harness above the battery below the main relay. When the SIFB goes out... it commonly won't let the engine rev beyond 3400 ever... but there are reported cases of it not ever holding that 3400 rpm limit too.

Have you had the ski in the water. That sky high revs on the trailer should not ever happen when in the water. Just curious if you have any other issues or rev limits or red flashing warning lights or check engine symbols on the display.

Be aware... that if the SIFB has fritzed out... that sometimes you can NOT get the ski to turn off. Happened to me out on the lake... talk about fun!

Cheers!

+1
    Had a simular situation with a MSX 110 one time reved to the moon and the only way to cut it off was disconecting the Battery thats fun as well in full panic mode lol

when the engine reved that hi i hit the stop button to prevent any damage. tomorrow i will check/test the reverse magnetic switch and try the ski in water. i will keep you updated thanks

so today i tested the magnetic switch of the reverse when reverse is engaged it shows open circuit when forward is engaged it shows close circuit but still no rpm limiter on reverse. i tested the ski in water it idled about 1500 rpm which is good. i had the check engine light on for about 20 sec and than it when off but i only reached about 58km/h and barely reached 6000rpm.

+1
    Okay... sounds like the switch is working. So it's idling normally in the water... 1500-1550 is right where it should be.

Also... the red warning light will flash upon startup... think it flashes like 10 times then goes out... that's normal. If it comes on after that or if you get any check engine indicator or warning... then that's when you worry. Did you get any warning or indicators?

So after it was warmed up... it would only reach 58km/h (36mph) at 6000 rpms? Yeah... that's not it's full potential.

Did you put the ski in reverse while in the water and rev it? Did it rev beyond 3400 rpms? If so... then your SIFB sounds faulty... which would explain why it also doesn't hold revs when on the trailer.

What's the history of this ski? Has it ever ran right for you? Or is it a newly acquired project? If history is unknown... and it's new to you... and you can't confirm it ran properly (full speed and rpms)... then we should start at the beginning and trouble shoot common issues. Oil, coolant, good jet pump (no binding bearings, etc.), compression, etc.

Share what you know... and we'll advise as we can.

Cheers!

10. +1 by:

hi guys it still doesnt limit rpm on revese in the water iam thinking that the sifb is bad. the check engine light is on for the first 10 sec or so. i was looking for the new wireing update from weberpower without sifb. the bad news they are out of stock right now. does any one know how much it cost?

iam new with this ski just bought it about 2 weeks ago. by any chance any one have a service manual pls ?

thanks for help i found from you guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information