sun n sea rio not pumping fuel

Hey guys,

I have a sun n sea rio with the 1200 carb polaris engine, been trying to figure out why it isnt getting fuel for a couple of weekends now. ended up smoking the starter relay today cranking it over for too long so I already ordered one of those.

The fuel system seems to hold pressure well enough, I removed the return line to the tank and blew into it and the only leak, albeit slow, is the fuel cap, but I couldn't get it to seal any better. My next thought is bad fuel pump or pumps, but is there anything else that would keep fuel from getting into the carbs?

Thanks,
    Carl

+1
    Hi Carl,
    Welcome to Green Hulk. Not to many of us Rio owners around here... but I happen to be one.

First off... the gas fill cap is meant to vent... the gas tank is not air tight like on jet skis.

Did you change out the fuel/water separator (aka filter) for the fuel?

Have you pulled off the supply fuel line (like where it Tees off) and attempt to blow back into the tank? Can you blow bubbles... any restrictions?

If the fuel lines are clear... and they are not sucking air at any of their connections... then I'd look at the fuel pumps. There are built-in fuel pumps on the front and rear carbs. Those both in-turn feed the middle... then there's the one return line back to the tank.

The fuel pump sides of the carbs face out, so you should be able to pull the carb pump plates and investigate... might have a torn diaphragm or bad check valve flapper. Might not be a bad time to pull the whole carb rack and clean/inspect/rebuild.

Lastly... priming the fuel lines can help. Pull the supply line at the Tee and suck the fuel through to that point... then hook it back up. Then drizzle a small amount of fuel (I use pre-mix for this) down the carb throats and start the engine. It might run long enough to get the fuel fully flowing through the carbs... or you might have to do it twice. Has worked for me in the past.

Cheers!

P.S. Where abouts are you from?

I was able to blow into the fuel line and get bubbles, put a new separator on, havent tried putting gas down the carb intake yet especially after melting the solenoid together. I did take apart and clean the carbs this past fall as one of them had a bent throttle flap causing bad idle the last time it ran. The diaphragms are definitely not torn but they do bulge a bit so I was planning to do a rebuild on the pumps if I couldn't figure anything else out. I may try priming the lines, was going to get a primer bulb for it but decided against it as many suggested not using one on skis.

My rio still has the front pad, I have the stock cover for it (ripped and repaired) and now a newly rebuilt engine in it, so it is in good shape other than not being able to get it running... I am near austin texas

+1
    Sounds like your on the right track. I too wouldn't put a primer bulb on the fuel lines... just another slight restriction. But you could use a primer bulb to prime the lines up to the carb Tee-off.

Another thing... make sure the lines are air tight. If it can, it will suck air and not fuel. I'd pull the supply line on top the tank... then unhook the supply line Tee at the carbs. Plug one end and put a suction on the lines. Make sure it holds vacuum... thus no air leaks.

Then hook up tank supply line and suck gas up to the carb Tee. Also... that filter/separator can hold a lot of fuel... so I always fill mine before I put it one. Otherwise... it will take a lot to get that hole filter and lines primed. If you prime up to the Tee... then you know all the lines and that big separator are all full.

Putting a little squirt of pre-mix down the carbs will help the engine start... like a primer kit. Then that couple seconds of running should be enough to get the fuel into the carbs and fully primed and good.

Also... my fuel pump diaphragms were also just a tad bulging... that's normal I believe. As those flex in/out that slight bulge in them is what does the pumping. As long as they're not torn or leaking.

Cheers!

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I know this thread is older but in case you need any other information, here is a informational thread on this boat:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188460

Not to necro my own thread, but I realized I never put the solution on here.

My boat had some unusually long fuel lines from the tank to the carb, they were not in the best of shape either, so they got replaced with lines about half the length of the originals, then I primed them with a bulb as suggested, and the boat started right up and was pumping fuel like a champ.

Thread Information