+1

Best Way to Handle my 2003 STX-R

Bought this ski last March, low hours but the block broke where the starter gear runs, could not get it fixed by anyone locally so I installed a SBT premium rebuild. Got 15-18 hours out of it before something happened, pretty sure it either burnt the #2 piston or possibly ventilated the case on #2. I paid for the no fault no questions 2 year warranty so they will send me a replacement as soon as I pull the dead one and send it back.

I found a Sea Doo RXP right after it happened and have no desire rework the ski, I just want to sell it. I fell it is best just to sell it as the complete ski with an engine in the box, I don't want to spend the time to put it back in, and have to wonder where I went wrong to blow the first, let someone smarter than me do it.

Ski is in nice shape and was low time, like 60 hrs when I bought it, What should I ask for a nice ski plus fresh motor?

The reason it failed is because you installed an sbt! Lol just stating it since it will be said.

Its hard to tell reason of failure with out the block in front of me. If you have a hole in the bottom case it most likely ran lean, or a clog in the cooling system causing that cylinder to run hot and a piston to seize, break the skirt off then unseize and punch a hole in the bottom.

Normally an stxr is worth around 3k. But since it has an sbt rebuild could be less. Anyone knowing about sbt poor quality specially with the kawi 1200 will run away.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I already know the basic opinion of SBT here, I am assuming the most likely cause was running lean, I didnt work the carbs and knew I should.

The reason I think it might have ventilated the case is because after it lost power we pulled it along side our pontoon I checked things over and when I restarted it we had smoke in the engine compartment, I would assume from a hole in the case.

Gotta get off my butt and pull it then we will know better, I'm just too honest to stick another in it and sell it for the next guy to have it blow up. That's why im thinking sell it with the motor in the box, then it is on the next guy if he gets everything right or not.

If it helps any I should mention we broke it in with premix as prescribed, then ran the next 2 tanks about 100:1, the final tank that it died on was straight fuel, if that tells you anything

+1
    So, you really don't know what's wrong with it? It could be something as simple as an exhaust leak that's filling the hull with fumes--which would make it run like crap.

I think you probably have a good idea (if you have to get a replacement engine). If someone like me were to buy it, I'd put that engine on Ebay and buy another one.

well you can either sell it like your thinking about, install it or part it out. If it was me i would install and get it to a running unit and sell and just be honest. It only takes an hour to pull that engine out and less to put it back in. anyways where are you located? always looking for a hull's and misc parts no interest in that engine tho.

good luck with whatever you choose to do

Now when you started having problems.. did it just fall on its face and stall? and when drive back to the boat did it shake alot with no power?

+1
    pull it only takes an hour, it's all all the items to remove, studs etc that takes time, man I didn't think Id everget them all pulled the first time!

One of the teens was riding it when it died, said it just lost power wouldn't rev then died.
    After they got it towed to the boat by our other ski it wouldn't turn over at first.

I pulled all the plugs and got the engine to move with the coupler, put plug back in it and got it fired but very rough, very low rpm, shaking and sounding real bad, and as stated above the #2 plug didn't look healthy and smoke in the engine compartment when it fired up, 90% sure we hurt #2

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If you want to get rid of the motor shoot me a message, I need one for my stxr.

Sean

Pm me if your looking to sell the hull thank you

+1
    I guess if folks want to part this thing I could, I now have the new motor sitting in my office lobby, and the hull and all the parts are in the garage, if either of you are still interested msg me and we can talk it over.

Thread Information