2014 ultra 310x or 2014 fzs? pros and cons?

Since i posted this in the wrong section i thought this would be a better spot for this thread. Hey everyone! Im Adam and i live in the st.louis area if you couldnt tell. Im looking at getting myself into a new pwc. I used to ride alot but kind of got out of the whole deal because i bought a gto a few years back and now that its been sold for a while ive got an itch for a new toy. Ive been pretty much set on buying a new 2014 fzs. I like yamaha and they seem to be very reliable and fast. It also seems like you dont have to put much money into them to make the fzs/fzr do 80 mph. Now heres my problem. I went to the boat show today and the kawasaki 310x is looking like a decent ski in all aspects. I just havent heard much about their reliability. I know there is some hardcore yamaha and kawasaki nutswingers on the boards but i just need some advice on why i would pick the 310x over the fzs and what would be faster after an ecu reflash and some cooling upgrades.It would never see salt water. Id only be running it on the mississippi and a few lakes around here. Btw seadoo is out of the question.

+1
    It sounds like you want speed, big, easy speed.
    If you want an 80 mph ski for rivers and lakes then you want the Yamaha because that is the strength of the FZ SHO platform. Jerry's new SVHO stunned the forum when it passed 80 mph with only a reflash. And with just a few more mods it's a reliable 80's system that is unmatched for the type of riding you do. More here...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210923

+1
    The FZ is the way to go but just think if you buy the kawasaki you could join the exclusive club of 4 owners nationwide!

+1
    Svho....

Kaw is nice but its going to take alot more to get the cow to 80...

What ever you doooo buy get the max warranty available and keep it wot!!!
    Last edited by wotxxxsd; 03-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Keep us informed of your purchase and thougts after your rip on it.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by critter_stl View Post
    Since i posted this in the wrong section i thought this would be a better spot for this thread. Hey everyone! Im Adam and i live in the st.louis area if you couldnt tell. Im looking at getting myself into a new pwc. I used to ride alot but kind of got out of the whole deal because i bought a gto a few years back and now that its been sold for a while ive got an itch for a new toy. Ive been pretty much set on buying a new 2014 fzs. I like yamaha and they seem to be very reliable and fast. It also seems like you dont have to put much money into them to make the fzs/fzr do 80 mph. Now heres my problem. I went to the boat show today and the kawasaki 310x is looking like a decent ski in all aspects. I just havent heard much about their reliability. I know there is some hardcore yamaha and kawasaki nutswingers on the boards but i just need some advice on why i would pick the 310x over the fzs and what would be faster after an ecu reflash and some cooling upgrades.It would never see salt water. Id only be running it on the mississippi and a few lakes around here. Btw seadoo is out of the question.
    Simple...

Go with the type of water cond you mostly ride in,I'll assume the Miss. River and lakes is mostly flat compared to the bay or ocean so the New SVHO FZR for sure especially with its internal improvements(boost, forge pistons,160mm pump)That's the most important Question when deciding on a force induction 2-3 seater....

If you spent it in rougher waters then the Kawa 310 with its stabler deeper V hull also with having improved internals (oil jets,cooling lines,improved intake manifold)

For reliabilty???
    Its like debating politics.. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR ISSUES so just follow a good maintenance schedule with some bolt on modifications and you should have hrs of fun...

+1
    310X does everything better except top speed. The 310R does everything better than the FZR stock. Top speed, accel, more storage, better hull, more comfortable, and the list goes on...
    when you get to modding, the 300/310 does not have as good of mod potential. The FZR will be fairly easy to get to 80 where you will probably have to get an aftermarket supercharger/turbo setup to break 80 in a 310. The 310R runs 73-74 stock, though.

+1
    If u never owned a ski then u might wanna consider getting use to 70mph first lol. Both skis are great!!! Us kawi guys would like a 5th opinion as well if u choose us

Thanks for the input guys i appreciate it. My uncle has had skis since i can remember. A few year back he bought a vxr and 65 mhp gets old quick. So 80 should be good for me for a while. Ill keep everyone posted on the new ski. I should be getting one by the end of the month.

Thread Information