Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on available packages in my area wanted

Hello All,

I am new here but have spent an extensive amount of time reading posts - cool site with good people.

I am going to purchase 2 skis this spring and need to get it done fairly soon as I am leaving the country for a while and want to have them for when I return. I have rented/ridden PWC in the past both on lakes and rivers. Mostly SeaDoo GTI (2 strokes) and once a Yamaha 1200 (2 stroke). This was some years ago. I am an avid (obsessed) snowmobiler with 2 Ski-Doo XP 800s and also ride street bikes (2005 BMW K1200S and 2011 Concours 1400 with PC and secondary flys removed). Top speed has become less important in the past few years.

My riding will be all freshwater bigger lakes and rivers; on the lakes with 2 kids on back with my girlfriend and her two kid son the back of the second machine. We will pull the kids on a tube/kneeboard etc periodically and from time to time my buddy and i will take the to the river on Friday to catch the big boats heading south for the weekend.

Here's what is out there in my area now:

1. 2012 Yamaha fx ho 19 hours with ext warranty to 2017 and 2010 Yamaha deluxe 29 hours with newer Chilton trailer for $16,900 firm (I already tried to talk him down) http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...342771481.html
    2. 2008 and 2009 Seadoo 130 SE in excellent condition. 2009 has 33 hours. 2008 has 32 hours for $13,900 firm (haven't tried negotiating but said "firm" in first contact) http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...355359982.html
    3. 2 brand new 2013 Yamaha VX Cruisers for $8299 each (already $100 less than what they have them listed for since I'm buying 2) and $1500 for a new all-aluminum triton trailer - of course plus tax, title, and license (but no setup fee) at a local dealer.

Interested to hear what you all think. It seems around here none of the dealers are worried about selling anything - they know when this winter breaks they will sell everything.

Thanks!

EXTremist - here's some old shots of me treating the rental "right" and a couple other pursuits

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	323958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015_12.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	323959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014_11.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	323960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009_6.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	323961  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by EXTremist; 03-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.

+1
    Those pictures look like they're taken on the St. Croix river. That is my favorite river to ride on. You have a tough challenge because you have to grade not one but two boats during a time when you can't test them. My first love is also snowmobiles and that is the experience I try to replicate on the water. That being said, I can't give good advice on what to buy since not many agree with my critiques of the boats that are out there. I would ask the sellers of any boats you're interested in if you can take them to a good mechanic for an inspection. The key to enjoying the sport for me has been to find a good mechanic because I have had terrible luck keeping these on the water (just like with the snowmobiles I used to own). Good luck with your search!

Thanks Pro - yep that's the St. Croix just south of Hudson. I used to rent from Mullen Marine in Delano of all places but the owner would charge me a single day rental and let me pick up the day before and return the day after! Pretty cool of him to do that. Then when it changed ownership from the old guy the deal went away so I stopped doing it. Now I'm looking for some warm weather fun to have with my kids and girlfriend. I'm thinking trailering them behind my RV on trips could be pretty fun too.

+1
    #2 seems like the best deal. I don't recommend the VXs unless you ride on glass. The FX's would be the best option for comfort out of the group but the SDs will be more fun.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post
    ... with 2 kids on back with my girlfriend and her two kids on the back of the second machine.

We will pull the kids on a tube/kneeboard etc periodically ...
    So you will have SIX people riding two watercraft, correct?

How old/big/heavy are these kids?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... $1500 for a new all-aluminum triton trailer ...
    Which model Triton trailer?

I can highly recommend the Elite model with the torsion axle. Much nicer riding trailer than the leaf spring version.

7. +1 by:

+1
    No vx skis.. they are ultra reliable but also ultra boring to ride...

The doos sound like a good deal.. just ride what ever your looking to buy. And with that low of hrs on the doos run some injector cleaner thru them.. they been sitting for too long with old fuel..
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... with 2 kids on back with my girlfriend and her two kids on the back of the second machine.

We will pull the kids on a tube/kneeboard etc periodically ...
    So you will have SIX people riding two watercraft, correct?

How old/big/heavy are these kids?
    Kids are two 12-year-old girls and 9-year-old boys...all pretty small yet. Not sure how much "sport" riding we'd do in this config but ferrying out to the sandbar/beach for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    No vx skis.. they are ultra reliable but also ultra boring to ride...

The doos sound like a good deal.. just ride what ever your looking to buy. And with that low of hrs on the doos run some injector cleaner thru them.. they been sitting for too long with old fuel..
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!!
    Thanks for the advice...I am in a situation where riding before purchase is unlikely. I know the standing advice is to always ride before you buy and understand the logic completely. Although I would hate to be misled by someone, I do have the means and ability to fix most any issue that could arise. Of course it is not an ideal situation, but I may take the chance rather than wait and maybe pay more based on my ability to inspect the machines.

I've certainly learned a lot here specific to PWC's already.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... $1500 for a new all-aluminum triton trailer ...
    Which model Triton trailer?

I can highly recommend the Elite model with the torsion axle. Much nicer riding trailer than the leaf spring version.
    Thanks - I would hope for $1699.00 (retail according to dealer) it would be torsion axle...haven't had a leaf-sprung snowmobile trailer in 15 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information