Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SUV conversion motor mount concept question.

I'm wanting to tackle a vx110 conversion into one of my SUVs and was thinking about the need for re-location of the stock suv motor mounts.

In lieu of removing the stock SUV motor mounts, would it not be advisable to simply have a cradle welded up that can:

1. Be bolted firmly to the bottom of the VX motor.
    2. The cradle would have arm extensions that would also allow this new cradle to be bolted to the stock motor mount locations at all 4 points.

If the 4 stock points would be hidden by this larger motor...then couldnt the cradle first be mounted to the SUV mount locwtions...then drop the VX in and secure its feet to wings on the secured cradle?

I'm sure I'm missing something but if the intent of the motor mounts is mainly to cushion the motor against vibration and allow for the left or right twist of the torque of the motor...then it seems easier to me to have a good welder weld up a cradle of sort. It would keep the stock motor mounts in the event that a person ever lost their mind and wanted to throw a 1200 back in there I guess.

Is the main reason for people moving motor mounts and glassing them in for the "custom job look" or is it deeper than this east TX idea with the cradle? I'm just curious at this point.

I do realize that the double hull will need to be cut out due to the height of the motor of course.

+1
    ive never put a 4 stroke Yamaha engine in a 2 stroke yamaha hull but aren't both the 4 stroke and 2 stroke mounts in the same place and you only have to cut the inner hull?

+1
    The rubber mounts also dampen vibration
    If you bolt directly to the hull through a cradle
    I'm sure it will crack

Sorry for the confusion on the question...the new cradle will be hard mounted to the bottom of the motor first...then some extended wings will reach off the cradle to bolt the cradle onto the stock suv mounts.

I am assuming that the motor mounts on each are spread differently to accomplish this.

I'm really needing to pour over the other vx110 to suv conversion posts more too. This may have been brought up before.

+1
    I think you would be better off leaving the 110 mounts in place
    And make an adapter up to bolt them to the hull

The only flaw I can see, asside from actual engineering flaws that I'll never figure out on my own would be the fact that any cradle would inevitably raise the motor height by the thickness of the material used to construct it...at a minimum. I'll ask one of the vx to suv conversion gurus about their under seat clnc. I know I will need to cut the bottom of the hull out to accomodate the motor bottom depth of the vx.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    ive never put a 4 stroke Yamaha engine in a 2 stroke yamaha hull but aren't both the 4 stroke and 2 stroke mounts in the same place and you only have to cut the inner hull?
    no one could answer this?

+1

Westy, The VX110 is longer on the mounts I believe. Not sure about other motors like the FX140 or 160 HOs but I think they have a longer spread as well.

+1
    I think I've read that the Riders in Australia are tending to install 110's in the SUV's over there for economy... The 140/160 mounts are the same width..just longer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information