+1

Anybody Riding This Winter/Spring?

Just wondering if anybody is getting out on some of these not so cold and dreary days? Might hit the South Sound in the near future. Probably with my fly rod in tow to chase some Searun Cutthroat.

+1
    I would be, but my ski is being worked on. Still. Since October. Hopefully, by April. I may not have much longer here, and I need to get some use out of my new GPS.

The Cap'n

+1
    Been reading up in the old search section for coldweather gear. Thinking about getting a drysuit or, since I'm a fisherman, just wearing my waders with wading belt and a good rain jacket. My biggest concern is going in the drink or possibly throwing a cooling line on the ski, having her sink, and having to swim for it. With the waders and belt, I'd only get a little wet on re-boarding but swimming for shore is a whole 'nother story. Is this a real concern or does real life experience say just be careful and it's a non issue?

Read a few other threads and think it was you who mentioned The Whale. If that was you, the wife and I met you at Don Armeni last year when we were heading out fishing in the boat. If you want someone to ride with when the ski gets fixed, let me know.

Dave

+1
    In my opinion - It all depends on your craft and your comfort level. If you are riding a larger 3-seater (Ultra, FX, GT), then you can treat it like a boat. And, I have yet to see a boater wearing a drysuit out in the Sound while fishing. As for slipping the cooling line and sinking - you can always add a secondary bilge if you are concerned. Or, as you should be doing anyways, check the lines before leaving. and bring some spare clamps.

I'm sorry I don't remember meeting you. Then again, I also don't know where Don Armeni is. Yes, Keto is also known as The Whale. She is getting some glass work done.

I may be leaving before the season even gets going, but I will be ready to ride until I do.

The Cap'n

+1
    DA=Alki.

+1
    Hey, Dave, I do ride year round....mostly on lake Washington & lake Goodwin during fall/winter. I wear a wetsuit & am just fine in snow, hail, sleet, etc.....of course the latter two sting like a bitch, lol.

anyway, am up for a ride, just let me know. Am open to a ride out on sound, too. I live in Everett. So not too far from Edmonds..... I just like being on the water.....all the time!!!

+1
    Hey Dave, I'm going to purchase a wetsuit soon and should be out relatively soon after that. I ride south sound pretty much exclusively (besides the Easter Egg hunt). On another note, nice profile pic! Its good to have another fisherman on the boards. I've never fished from my ski, only because I usually am trolling with Downriggers or Jigging, I suppose I could jig from the ski but landing a King from my RXP would be too challenging for the very few we get each year. If you're ever down in the SS fishing or on your ski shoot me a PM I'd love to ride.

BTW: not sure if you're apart of the forum captaindownriggins.com but for south sound fishing its pretty good.
    Oliver,

Thread Information