2013 FX SHO or 2014 FX SVHO?

Hey guys.

I bought a 2013 FX SHO the end of last summer and have about 6 hours on it. I recreational ride at a couple of fresh water lakes and this ski is great. It uses regular gas (in California premium gas is about $4.25 a gallon right now) not that premium gas would scare me off. I'm 58 years old, 6'4", 285 pounds and it's plenty of ski for me and whoever else wants to ride on the back or by themselves. It really kicks you in the butt when you grab a handfull of throttle. As a former drag racer who's been over 250 mph in the quarter mile I like big power even if I don't use it all the time. See www.randygoodwinracing.com

Being a little bored I've been looking at the new 2014 FX SVHO on line and the difference seems to be more boost, premium gas (because of added boost and/or more compression), and a 160 mm pump.

My question is: Have any of you ridden both ski's, and is there a significant difference in the ride as far as power/hook-up is concerned. My 2013 seems to blow a hole in the water when you nail it from an idle, but it still picks up and moves. Would the *slightly* larger 8 vane 160mm pump make that much of a difference?

Bottom line is, I only ride 3-4 times a year but I want the best ride possible. For those who have ridden both, would it be worth a few thousand dollars to off the 2013 and get the 2014 FX SVHO? My thinking is, next year the 2015 will be better than the 2014...then the next year the 2016 will be better than the 2015...then the next year the 2017 will be better than the 2016...you get the picture. Or should I just be happy with what I have?

Thanks

RG

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If you arent modding it, I wouldnt waste the money....

+1
    If you want the most thrust with holeshot. Get the kawasaki 310

+1
    I guess I can speak with some experience, as I have just sold a 2013 FX SHO (1 year, 25 hrs) for a 2014 FX SVHO (2 weeks, 4 hrs). Only mods to SHO were ribbon delete, engine breather upgrade and sealing front edge and first two bolt holes of intake grate. I'm about to do the same to the SVHO.

I loved the SHO, but still had the urge to upgrade intercooler and grate, more to finesse the base line performance (very good!) rather than achieve a big jump, as I'm not chasing top speed. I was well aware of what R&D and Riva offer, and it seemed to me that Yamaha were basically offering a "kind of" Stage 1 in the SVHO, so it seemed to suit my laziness perfectly and I made a spur of the moment decision to get one... (They've been available here in Oz for roughly a month).

I'm certainly feeling that the changeover cost was worth it. Your statement about having the power even if you don't use it all the time certainly applies to me, that's part of the appeal, I love having it only a twitch of the finger away. However, I'm almost as impressed with the improvements the plate and grate bring, it seems to groove even better yet has lovely control of the oversteer. If you are a motorcyclist as well, think top notch sportsbike leaning in yet becomes late model motorcross bike hanging out when you want it to, in a way that is smoother than the SHO. Stays hooked up better too, at least in the modest chop we see on the lake. (My only use both ski's is fresh water, 3000' AMSL.)

Little things add to the appeal as well. It's quieter and smoother at cruise rpm's yet growls more when you nail it... (cams?...) It's way better in terms of not getting heat soak loss of performance, you notice that the pissers (two now on intercooler) really push water out at pressure compared to the modest stream from the SHO. (Also notice it flushing, you used to need a fair bit of pressure and sometimes a finger over the engine pisser to get intercooler to run, on this one even low flushing pressure such as my shed pump runs out of both the intercooler pissers no probs). Fuel consumption doesn't seem to be significantly worse in a mix of riding, still assessing...

So yeah, if the changeover cost isn't going to keep you awake at night I reckon it's worth it. I find it a bit like the argument I used upgrading from the 2012 FX HO to the 2013 FX SHO: Certainly, the earlier ski did the job just as well 95% of the time, but really, when I looked at it, I got the most fun and the best memories from that other 5%...

Hope that helps...

chrs jc

ps quick apocryphal tale: Had the SHO moored off our campsite at the lake for two weeks during our summer holidays in January. Went out in the evening and stopped for a chat at the top of the lake to a nice bloke who had a 300x. We talked about what we had done to our ski's (not much for me to say! ), he was quite enthused about some local design reflash he had that increased the redline but didn't show it on data dump during servicing so as to preserve warranty. He also waxed a bit enthusiastic about how it helped when he went 'doo killing elsewhere... Anyway, having never ridden the Kwaka but knowing its reputation, when we decided to go for a run I said that I knew he'd "do me like a dinner" but that I'd see him at the other end of the lake eventually (about 7 km)... Surprisingly, holeshot was similar, he didn't get anything at the top end in rippling chop, we sat side by side for almost 2 mins of WOT, and finally he picked up about 50m in some smooth glass in the lee of a hill until we signed off. No one more amazed than me, he was quite surprised too, making some comment about it being "faster than those bloody Seadoo's"... We did it again just to be sure, similar result, he would get the edge eventually but not by much, until we ran out of water, and my poor girl was getting a bit hot under the seat! (Mmmmm ...)

About the only direct comparison I've had up here, mostly older skis around, and they just don't want to play, particularly with this thing!

c ya...
    Last edited by zone5; 03-04-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: grammar!

+1
    Sorry, I probably didn't directly address the power difference. Yeah, it's noticeable, more pull out of high drag steep turns, much more acceleration when nailed from cruising rpm's, ski almost jumps out of the water from a standstill. It feels like what they advertise, about another 20%, and it gets put to the water more solidly.

chrs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    If you want the most thrust with holeshot. Get the kawasaki 310
    Agree The 310R also tops out higher and takes the rough MUCH better. The 310R is the dominant stock ski as far as performance goes. If you are going to mod, though, get the yammi. They are easy to get to 80+ where the 310 would require a bit more work to get to 80.

Thanks, guys. And thanks Zone5 for the detailed report of your experience. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

It looks like it'll cost about $4,000 or so to make the switch when you add 8.75% sales tax on top of the new ski. California doesn't give you a break when you do a trade in like some states do. I checked the hours on my 2013 FX SHO and it has 4.3 on it.

For now I'll probably just keep it and check out some of the mods that can be done to notch it up a bit and keep the jet from blowing a hole in the water at the hit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I will say this. One of the things that really impresses me about the FX hull design (which appears to have remained the same for 2014 is how it handles chop). It's like riding a butter knife.

RG

+1
    Your welcome. As someone said to me just recently (and somewhat incredulously) after coming for a ride on my SHO;

"And you're going to buy one with more power??"

chrs jc

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
    ...is there a significant difference in the ride as far as power/hook-up is concerned. My 2013 seems to blow a hole in the water when you nail it from an idle, but it still picks up and moves. Would the *slightly* larger 8 vane 160mm pump make that much of a difference?
    Um, yes... Yamaha SVHO is the new speed monster of the industry; Jerry's jumped up over 80 mph like a rocket, just from adding a reflash; in the world of PWC, nothing has ever come close to that kind of power and performance, nothing. And you aren't just getting the better pump, you're getting an upgraded supercharger with 60% more boost, and a bigger intercooler that is 25% more efficient, bigger fuel injectors, and that kick-in-the-azz 3 degree exit nozzle; it all adds up to make a big difference. Plus you have a very open-ended platform so you're not going to be 'held back' or 'hit a wall' later when you get the racer's itch to REALLY blow the crap out of everything on the water; more here...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=204000

and here...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210923

Thread Information