Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    GTR in rough water

    How is the GTR in rough water? How is it in 2 foot to 4 foot waves? chop? etc. Is it a wet ride? I know it's not as good as the larger PWC (GTX, RXT, FX, etc.) but how would it compare to a STX or VXR or something closer to that size? Thanks for any insight.


  2. #2
    Captain Spalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Olathe,Kansas
    Posts
    241
    +1
    23
    I'm not an expert,but in 2-4 foot chop I'm sure your going to get wet on just about anything. Only problem I've ever had with my gtr in rough water is with passengers,it's hard to find a good speed where everyone is comfortable.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    KC8ANP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    49
    It's a GTI hull, it's flat-ish. I love my GTR215, but it WILL beat you up on chop (rough water). IF, you normally ride in choppy water, you definitely want the S3 hull, NO BRAINER. I know it's more, but it's worth it! There are days, I wish I had an S3 hull regardless of the price. With that said... on normal days, I love spending the money I saved on gas, killing most everything else on the water, but on bad days, I feel like I'm going to be very sore at the end of the day.

  5. #4
    benGTST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    179
    +1
    8
    My GTR handles chop soooo much better than my older ski, 05 rxp. I am noticing a less stable ride in the gtr compare to the rxp. Almost like he rxp tracked better when at low speeds. But once the gtr gets up to 45mph it straightens up.

  6. #5
    benGTST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    179
    +1
    8
    Or... It could be the touring style seat on the gtr, just thought of that.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spalding View Post
    I'm not an expert,but in 2-4 foot chop I'm sure your going to get wet on just about anything. Only problem I've ever had with my gtr in rough water is with passengers,it's hard to find a good speed where everyone is comfortable.

    Thanks for the reply. Why is hard to find a good speed finding a comfortable speed for everyone with passenger when in rough water. Is it something with the GTR, the GTR seat or just the rough water? How is the GTR with passengers? I do ride with passenger a lot.

    Most of the time I'm in 1' or less chop. I won't be in 2' to 4' that often but I at least want to know what I am getting into if I get the GTR.

    I have a lot of time on a STX 15f hull and some on a VXS... Does anyone have experience on either of these and can compare it the GTR?

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8ANP View Post
    It's a GTI hull, it's flat-ish. I love my GTR215, but it WILL beat you up on chop (rough water). IF, you normally ride in choppy water, you definitely want the S3 hull, NO BRAINER. I know it's more, but it's worth it! There are days, I wish I had an S3 hull regardless of the price. With that said... on normal days, I love spending the money I saved on gas, killing most everything else on the water, but on bad days, I feel like I'm going to be very sore at the end of the day.
    Most of the time I'm on flatter water (less than 2' waves). Having said that, can you throw the S3 hulls around like the GTR? I'm assuming the S3 hull doesn't slide around as much as the GTR hull.

  9. #8
    benGTST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    179
    +1
    8
    Thats correct. The S3 hull out performs with handling. Its all about what you prefer, i personally like how the GTR slide, gives it a fun factor for me.

  10. #9
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    30,433
    +1
    7,313
    Quote Originally Posted by benGTST View Post
    Thats correct. The S3 hull out performs with handling. Its all about what you prefer, i personally like how the GTR slide, gives it a fun factor for me.
    Yep...I love that too.

  11. #10
    saxwinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    107
    +1
    7
    Had mine 2 yrs now ............... never had any complaints even in rough stuff ...east coast on N.Ireland....enjoy ur Ski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ultra vs. Yamaha FZ Series in Rough Water
    By Ultra250XRider in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
  2. hood slams in rough water?? help!
    By islandboy in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. Trim Tabs/Plate Setting In Rough Water
    By Mik72e in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
  4. How can I make the RXP handle well in rough water
    By rxp_boy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 03:06 AM
  5. How good is 250X in rough water
    By creativepuzzle in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •