confused about rideplates

I seem to be confused, I have been looking into prepping my 06 gpr for closed course racing, and in my other thread, the concensus seemed that the stock plate was better for rougher conditions and racing, is this true or not? I have been eager to purchase parts to start to build my ski up, and I want to order jims plate, but what is it good for besides speed? witht he input I was getting about the stock plate, and jims plate being dubbed the "speed" plate, I lost track of what conditions it is good for. My ski is an 06 gpr, with R&D 1200grate, PPK, Riva sponsons, Riva trim tabs, Solas DF 14/20 trued, jetworks going in, and I was hoping to add jims plate next, but again I am prepping my ski for CC racing this year. Should I keep the stock plate, or should I use jims plate, or even a stock r&d? Also, with the bone stock 1300 plant, what can I do to boost the rpms back over 7k since the DF seems to drop the r's down to about 68-6900.

+1
    closed course go with stock plate

+1
    there are a few guys on here who could help way better than i could. hydrotoys,insanediego-rxp, and phillip gpr to name a few. phillip has in his signature all about building a rec ski. and he talks in detail about different set-ups. hydrotys has his own website and forum and tuner's links. check out his site, he goes into detail about which plate did what for him. very informative. for me in my experience the stocker is awesome in the rough. the shredmaster is awesome in the rough. and maybe jim's and island racing plates are good with a different cut. maybe not the speed cut or ff cut. i run exclusively either a island racing stage 4 r+d plate, my own mod riva or r+d plate. and every so often the stocker. matter of fact with the stocker on my boat the other week i was over 70 mph and hooked up tight

+1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
    I seem to be confused, I have been looking into prepping my 06 gpr for closed course racing, and in my other thread, the concensus seemed that the stock plate was better for rougher conditions and racing, is this true or not? I have been eager to purchase parts to start to build my ski up, and I want to order jims plate, but what is it good for besides speed? witht he input I was getting about the stock plate, and jims plate being dubbed the "speed" plate, I lost track of what conditions it is good for. My ski is an 06 gpr, with R&D 1200grate, PPK, Riva sponsons, Riva trim tabs, Solas DF 14/20 trued, jetworks going in, and I was hoping to add jims plate next, but again I am prepping my ski for CC racing this year. Should I keep the stock plate, or should I use jims plate, or even a stock r&d? Also, with the bone stock 1300 plant, what can I do to boost the rpms back over 7k since the DF seems to drop the r's down to about 68-6900.

Dogger,

You are asking for closed course racing secrets so that you could use them against some of the same people that you might be competing against.

Grudge and CC racing are like comparing marathon runners and sprinters. They both practice hard and run, but they focus on different aspects of running. Some things that work in grudge racing will not help in the CC and in fact make racing even more difficult for you.

Some of the things that CC racers must focus on:

1. The all mighty, all important hole shot. If you don't have this you will be struggleing up hill from the snap of the band.

2. Bouy to bouy accelleration. Stick and move, stick and move... not hang off of the back and get top end speed i.e. you need a bottom to mid range impeller.

3. Hard turning control and the ability to recover while you are in a crowd. You must learn how to completely control your craft. A GPR handles extreemly well with aftermarket sponsons. We have talked about this before.

4. A boat that stays hooked up.

You need a set up that helps you to stay planted because a boat that is in the air makes no power. The stocker plate helps you to stay hooked up and works well. A modified speed plate is no help in these conditions UNLESS YOU CHANGE OTHER COMPONENTS.

Some where in the near future, you are going to make a decision to go to a 3 degree nozzle, because it will help you to stay planted. It will be very difficult to compete with a 5 degree.

I ride with a 3 degree, a modified plate and tabs removed, and would not even consider racing in CC conditions in any other way. Perhaps it is my riding style, but with this set up I am more hooked up and get a better overall top end. Recovery off of a turn is much improved, probably because the plate is trying to get you back on top of the water rather than plowing through it. Try the stocker set up then go with the aftermarket plate with no tabs and 3 degree. You will be pleasently surprised.

It is all in the set up. The friends that you soon will be riding with will help there. Also, go to the racers section of the Green hulk forum... they will give you tips. Just don't expect a whole lot a "fine tuning" secrets that help you to get and stay out front.

One last thing.. do not pass up a super course race.... they are so much fun. The hole shot is not as important, top end speed is more important, the race is longer, and the likely hood of your craft getting banged up is not as great.

There is not nearly as much testosterone floating around either.

thanks guys...

CC racing puts alot of stress on the motor and will generally heat it up or cause pistons "sticks" due to any problems with the engine set up. .. I would take a close look at that impeller you are thinking of using with no engine mods.... IMO it will be over propped.

Thread Information