Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 1200r Power Problem please help

ok first time out with this new ski...had it in the water yesterday and sucked up a couple rocks.
    luckly it was at an idle comming off the trailer lake was flooded ect ramp was washed out..
    so i brought it home took the impellar housing off and got the rocks out. put it all back togather and headed back to the lake today.
    mind you the water is 38 degrees so i putted ever so slowly around to let the motor get nice and warm..
    after about 10 min i decided to give it a little juice. running good then i lost all power.
    motor still runs well but im not turning the impellar at all didnt hit anything or suck anything up i was in the middle of the lake.. could i have put something back to gather wrong? i know its not the motor its self gota be somewhere in the shafts or the pump where do i need to be looking

thanks a ton
    Chris

+1
    Hey Chris
    When you say you took the impellar housing off do you mean you removed the intake grate and reached up from the bottom of the pump housing and removed what was stuck or you actually pulled the pump apart and the drive shaft out?

I un did the 4 bolts at the back of the pump housing the rocks were stuck in between the impellar and the veins on the housing i slid the whole unit impellar and housing (not the housing the impellar actually turns in not the wear ring part but further towards the nozzle. the drive shaft slid too..then i slid it back up in to place the ski just feels like i put it in neutral but obviously it dosnt have N

Sounds like the splines are stripped. Pull the driveshaft all the way out and look at the splines on the end of it.

is that a common problem? what would cause that?

+1
    It would have to be something big, but make sure there is nothing in the intake grate or up in the pump tunnel.

I would think that the only thing that could cause the splines to strip on the shaft would be improper drive line alignment. It might not be the drive shaft that is stripped so be sure to check the intermediate shaft splines too.

yea i can see the impellar is clear and the tunnel is clear machine runs strong... hit the throttle it revs right up like normal it just dosnt go in the water ive taken everything out of the hull ie the coupler cover at the motor and all looks well there intermed shaft seems to be good going into the bering so im wondering now if ive snaped the drive shaft? impellar looks to be straight in its housing...?

ok after looking at the service manual to give proper termonology when i sucked the rocks up i split the impeller duct assembly and the impellar housing so in a sense i still had the duct assembly and the nozzle sealed togather

i couldnt get the drive shaft to pull the entire way out when i did that could that have been my problem should it come all the way out ? im thinking more and more ive either got a broken shaft now or ive gotten striped splines

does the drive shaft just slide into the berring housing?

thanks for the reply guys im fairly mech inclined im just new to the gpr...not really ready to take it to the dealer i like fixing stuff myself,...

+1
    OK, to get the pump all the way out you need to do the following:

1. Remove speedo sensor from ride plate.
    2. Remove ride plate.
    3. Remove steering cable from the turn nozzle.
    4. Remove trim cable from the ball on the trim ring
    5. Remove siphon hose from exit nozzle.
    6. Remove 4 bolts that hold the exit nozzle and stator housing to the transom plate.
    7. Pull the stator housing and exit nozzle out of ski.

If the pump will not come out there may be some burn spots in the liner keeping the impeller from coming out. You will have to rotate the impeller while pulling to get it to come out. You do not have to pull hard.

+1
    Did the pump assembly slide back in easily or did you have to use the bolts to torque it in the last inch or so?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information