Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    29
    +1
    4

    Purchasing Sea Doo RXT this weekend and need advice

    Budget: $6,500
    Location: Atlanta, GA (willing to travel to pick up pwc)
    Use: Fast riding while solo, some wave jumping, riding with wife and daughter, tubing and water skiing.

    I am looking to purchase my first PWC this weekend. After weeks of research I settled on the Sea Doo RXT. I found one locally for $5,400 with only 69 hours on it. I do not believe it has ever been rebuilt since it has only had one owner and has not been used much. I am having second thoughts now because I do not want to deal with pulling the s/c for a rebuild and doing a bunch of work to the PWC just to use it through the summer. I plan on selling it after the summer and purchasing a boat next year.

    My question is: Is there another option or is the Sea Doo RXT the best route? I really need something that's fast for me when im alone and also powerful enough to pull around the fam. I like the RXT because it comes with 215hp stock and I can upgrade it with RIVA Stage kits. I am not familiar enough with any other brands to know if there is a better option out there.

    Any suggestions? Should I just stick with the RXT?

    Thanks


  2. #2
    R-Doo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    833
    +1
    77
    I don't see that you posted what year the ski is. Just assuming.
    I have a 2006 RXT and the family loves it as do I and my son. It's fast and versicle.
    With 69 hours on the stock ceramic washers (if it's that year) it need a rebuild to be safe. This is a must do.
    It's really not hard to pull it and send off to Jerry for a rebuild but it's an added expense. I'd definitely get the price reduced because it needs to be done.
    Now this is all assuming the washers and SC are still good.

  3. #3
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    30,586
    +1
    7,360
    If you just plan on selling after Summer you may want to keep looking around for one that already has a somewhat freshly rebuilt SC...or get this one, spend a few bucks on the SC so when you sell it at the end of Summer you can use that as a selling point.

  4. #4
    devils ride 250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    lehigh valley pa
    Posts
    775
    +1
    124
    Ya do that rebuild and have fun with it. Especially for only one summer. You would think he woulda upgraded it already tho

  5. #5
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    07 and older had ceramic s/c clutch washers. If its 07 and older they need replaced before any riding is done. If they break its a night mare to fix.
    Even if its 08 and newer I would still have Jerry rebuild it completely.. bearing n washers every time!!!

  6. #6
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,592
    +1
    4,798
    They have a great hull but after many thousands ($$$) in warranty repairs on ours there is no way I could recommend buying a used one without a warranty. You drop a valve on that BRP 4 stroke and you're looking at a massive expense just in parts alone. If you have to buy used, my best advice is to get a PWC with a OEM extended warranty (such as B.E.S.T. from Sea-Doo or Y.E.S. warranty from Yamaha) this is fully transferable into your name as the new owner by any dealer.

    Another thing to consider is the new Certified Pre-Owned Program from Yamaha; no other manufacturer has stepped up to offer anything like this.

    In fact, Yamaha is so confident in their products, they now offer a special Pre-Owned Warranty, this is something never before available for used personal watercraft... here's a link:

    http://www.yamahawaverunners.com/certified-pre-owned

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    29
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    I don't see that you posted what year the ski is. Just assuming.
    I have a 2006 RXT and the family loves it as do I and my son. It's fast and versicle.
    With 69 hours on the stock ceramic washers (if it's that year) it need a rebuild to be safe. This is a must do.
    It's really not hard to pull it and send off to Jerry for a rebuild but it's an added expense. I'd definitely get the price reduced because it needs to be done.
    Now this is all assuming the washers and SC are still good.
    It is a 2007.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    29
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    They have a great hull but after many thousands ($$$) in warranty repairs on ours there is no way I could recommend buying a used one without a warranty. You drop a valve on that BRP 4 stroke and you're looking at a massive expense just in parts alone. If you have to buy used, my best advice is to get a PWC with a OEM extended warranty (such as B.E.S.T. from Sea-Doo or Y.E.S. warranty from Yamaha) this is fully transferable into your name as the new owner by any dealer.

    Another thing to consider is the new Certified Pre-Owned Program from Yamaha; no other manufacturer has stepped up to offer anything like this.

    In fact, Yamaha is so confident in their products, they now offer a special Pre-Owned Warranty, this is something never before available for used personal watercraft... here's a link:

    http://www.yamahawaverunners.com/certified-pre-owned
    These are the stories that make me shy away from Sea Doo. They dont seem to offer much warranty support for pre-owned pwc and I dont understand why a company would build a product that almost immediately requires a rebuild in order to enjoy. I already have project cars and I do not want another head ache.

    Which Yamaha model would you guys say compares closesly to the Sea Doo RXT. I want something with about the same power range.

    Thank you guys for all your advice I am glad I found this forum!!!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    29
    +1
    4
    I just spoke to the original owner. He has not rebuilt the s/c as he said he never really pushed it hard or used it that much. He says he is a authorized Sea Doo dealer and said I did not need to rebuild anything to run it on the water but once I mentioned I have been doing my reserch and I have been on the forums and everyone has recommended that I do the rebuild before running it this summer he said "well maybe you would want to do it since they are ceramic bushings".

    I will wait for further responses and recommendations on Yamaha's before I make my final decision.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VP3449952_3_large.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	324193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VP3449952_5_large.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	324194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VP3449952_2_large.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	324195

  10. #10
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,592
    +1
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by locsta View Post
    These are the stories that make me shy away from Sea Doo. They dont seem to offer much warranty support for pre-owned pwc and I dont understand why a company would build a product that almost immediately requires a rebuild in order to enjoy. I already have project cars and I do not want another head ache.

    Which Yamaha model would you guys say compares closesly to the Sea Doo RXT. I want something with about the same power range.
    The FX SHO would probably be closest to the RXT, and they are both supercharged.
    If you can find a nice low-hour FX SHO with a couple years left on the extended warranty that would be a great choice. Another option is the FZS, which is what I have; you can read about them here:

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189782

    The thing is, by getting a supercharged model, you're getting a high performance PWC, and these superchargers have clutches that are a wear item. But there are non-SC models also; for example, if you want to skip the supercharger and still get same 1812CC engine and close to same power, you might take a look at the Yamaha VXR, just check to see if you can find a used one. But with your budget that's going to be unrealistic I think.

    Again, if you want a supercharged ski, (any brand) my advice is seek one out with extended warranty — if you can't come up on your budget you're probably better off getting a NA model, maybe something like the Yamaha FX HO. They are better on gas, too.

    Finding a good used PWC takes patience. The overriding factor is your budget of $6,500, and what you can find in your area. If you're serious, don't be afraid to widen your search into other states and take a drive to get what you want, and ALWAYS test ride before you buy.


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Planning on purchasing a 2014 Sea Doo Rxt this week
    By SloScooter in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM
  2. 2011 Sea Doo RXT-X - Red and Black, did they make one?
    By gb387 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2015, 08:50 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-26-2015, 11:54 AM
  4. '12 Kawasaki 300X vs '13 Sea Doo RXT 260 - pros and cons - suggestions welcome
    By boostedgta in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 10:00 PM
  5. Sea Doo RXT-X breakin and updates
    By hancop in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •