+1

Opinions needed!

Hey guys,

Im torn here! My 06 RXP started puffing lots of smoke (oil) on the last ride end of the season, hense the last ride. Had full power but lots of smoke.. Had it looked at quickly and it was determined that cylinder 1 has low compression. Have not had it fully disassembled and diagnosed yet, but I'm assuming the worst. About 50 hours ago it had a supercharger failure, the shop told me the charger was not rebuilt correctly and the shaft was bent causing the impeller to grind against the intake housing. They did not suspect any internal engine issues so new charger and an oil change later I rode around all summer. Don't know if after 50 hours it could be related to the current fault or not.

The machine has 170 hours on it, but looks like it has 10. I love the thing but am unsure if its worth spending $1000s on a rebuild or just look into a new ski.

+1
    I would do a little more diagnosis to find the cause of the low compression, scored bore, rings or bad valve seats. Compression test, leak down test then pull the cylinder head and have a look.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I would bet that the pieces of aluminum from the sc wheel rubbing the housing went into the cylinders and caused gauling and scoring. Basically that motor would be a great core for a motor exchange service, or a fairly easy rebuild. Just don't run it until it blows completely up or it will scatter and bust the cases. Cases are expensive, but yours are probably in good shape. The valves in your motor are also a consideration, if they are the new valve part number you will be fine, if you need valves then that simple rebuild just got expensive, probably expensive enough to cover a whole motor swap...

+1
    Ya, its going in for that as soon as I can dig out a path in the snow to where its stored lol. I guess I am just assuming the worst

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    I would bet that the pieces of aluminum from the sc wheel rubbing the housing went into the cylinders and caused gauling and scoring. Basically that motor would be a great core for a motor exchange service, or a fairly easy rebuild. Just don't run it until it blows completely up or it will scatter and bust the cases. Cases are expensive, but yours are probably in good shape. The valves in your motor are also a consideration, if they are the new valve part number you will be fine, if you need valves then that simple rebuild just got expensive, probably expensive enough to cover a whole motor swap...

I believe I've read before that on the 06s its based on where the VIN plate is located. If it is directly behind the hull, like mine, then it's equipped with the early style valves. Even with that, I thought the valves are $500-$700 for the upgraded
    ones and of course plus the labour.. that's not too bad. I was more concerned that the bill would be getting into the $3-5K range since thats where it would be around the value of the ski and I'd have to reconsider fixing it.

+1
    Well... if you are paying for a shop to do a rebuild the 3-5k range is probably where you will end up...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Well... if you are paying for a shop to do a rebuild the 3-5k range is probably where you will end up...

Unfortunately that is the case.. I am capable of doing the basics, but engine work is a whole other area

Thread Information