Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 starting problem *beware long post*

Hey guys,

Before summer gets too close I wanted to get this problem fixed. On my 01 Ultra I spent last summer/spring rebuilding my motor (all new top end, rebuilt carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, oil lines, new oil pump new pump bearings, new water lines). It had around 180 hrs and 90psi on all three so I figured it was time for an overhaul. When I took it down to the Ozarks, where i put about 7 hours (including break in time) on it, it ran perfect. When I brought it back to Kansas and took it out again, I was getting that starter clicking noise every once in awhile, but no cranking. Sometimes I would push the stater button 20-30 times to get it started other times it would start right up. Also sometimes it would bog down after starting and only rev to 4k rpms and 12 mph at full throttle. Other times it would bog down a bit then take of like a jet like it should. My question is, do I have a starter problem, where the starter isn't disengaging and its only allowing the motor to spin as fast as the starter? Out of water she revs to 7000 rpm's like it should, all "pissers" are peeing like they should. Any idea where I should start? If its electrical please be detailed. I hate dealing with electrical problems! I think its either relay box in back or starter but not sure.

Also side note, when I run the recommended br9es plugs (or br8es I can't remember) it bogs real bad and I get a lot of fuel/oil build up on them, when I run the next "hotter" plug I think the br8's it runs fine. Any ideas on that?

Sorry for long post but hey gives you guys something to read at work

Any help is appreciated thanks guys!

+1
    Sounds like you need to go back to the Ozarks!

The clicking when you hit the Start button means that it's not getting enough current to the starter. Weak battery, dirty connections (including ground to the engine block), etc.

The bogging sounds like a fouled spark plug, possibly because it's too rich.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Stock carbs? are choke plates in correct postion?

+1
    Depends where the "clicking" noise is comming from. If it comming from the back of the ski, its the starter relay. If its comming from the front of the ski, its the front electronics module. Pray the clicking is coming from the back because the ecm is expensive.
    The bog, spark plugs most likely.

If you buy new those trim/starter modules are expensive, but you can find used for a descent price.(box located on the steering support) But splishsplash is 100% right, where is the clicking come from?

Clicking noise is coming from the back starter relay box. I've had it out and it wasn't full of water or fried or anything. I guessing there could be a loose connection somewhere. I haven't had time to go back home and look at it ( I'm in college). You don't think I need to worry about the starter itself though?

Put in new battery last summer so i know that's good.

Also stock carbs are rebuilt, they were all corroded and nasty when I took them out last winter, surprised the thing even ran they were so bad. Not sure about the choke plate position? Can you elaborate on that please?
    I could see the plugs getting fouled because I mixed 40:1 gas plus my oil pump ( wanted to be extra cautious when breaking it in lol)

Thanks for the insight guys

+1
    New battery last summer? Did you charge it periodically over the winter? If not, it's toast.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Kid33 View Post
    Clicking noise is coming from the back starter relay box. I've had it out and it wasn't full of water or fried or anything. I guessing there could be a loose connection somewhere. I haven't had time to go back home and look at it ( I'm in college). You don't think I need to worry about the starter itself though?

Also stock carbs are rebuilt, they were all corroded and nasty when I took them out last winter, surprised the thing even ran they were so bad. Not sure about the choke plate position? Can you elaborate on that please?
    I could see the plugs getting fouled because I mixed 40:1 gas plus my oil pump ( wanted to be extra cautious when breaking it in lol)

Choke is operated by a cable that runs to the handle on the side of the ski. The plates should move about 90 degrees when you move the handle on the side of the ski. Easiest way to check that they are open is with the flame arrestor off. With out removing the flame arrestor you could watch the shaft and make sure that it is moving when you turn the lever. Mine got stuck at the carbs and even though the cable was moving the plates stayed closed.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    New battery last summer? Did you charge it periodically over the winter? If not, it's toast.
    Yup trickle charged it a couple of times this winter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Kid33 View Post

Did you premix gas at 40:1 and running Oil injection?
    whats your compression #s ???
    A year old battery does not mean its good, whats the Volt reading? should be above 12V? if so Solnoid is probobly your issue, they are known to go bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information