Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New to forum got a 2014 FX Cruiser SVHO

Pullet the trigger on the new FX Cruiser SVHO in black. Love it! I haven't owned a PWC in years (like 15+). I'm in the DFW area and the afternoon warmed up to 65 so I took it out on its maiden voyage. What a great time, man this thing can move!! It was so cold lol but I didn't mind as I was having a blast. It got a good scratch on it from the dock so it's officially broke in.
    Only issue was that it would die at idle. Happened maybe 3 or 4 times and took a few trys to get it to start. Idle seemed rough right before it would cut out. I am running premium gas. Any ideas what would be causing this? Should I take it back to dealer yet?

+1
    Yes take it back and did you do the official break in? I would on something that powerful.

I asked about a break in and the rep said there was not any but to take it easy for the first 10 hours for the 1st oil change. That's what I'm doing. I did a lot of 20-30 mph would ramp up to top end for 3 or 4 sec and drop back down. Did a lot of riding around the marina at 5mph or less

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrewzrSVHO View Post
    I asked about a break in and the rep said there was not any but to take it easy for the first 10 hours for the 1st oil change. That's what I'm doing. I did a lot of 20-30 mph would ramp up to top end for 3 or 4 sec and drop back down. Did a lot of riding around the marina at 5mph or less
    Is really not that much. I believe the manual said one tank of gas. Something like no more 1/4 throttle for a 1/4 tank, no more than 1/2 throttle for like 1/2 tank. I can't remember.

+1
    Congrats on new ski .... that is the best looking bad ass ski Yamaha has ever made. You 1 lucky guy! Welcome to the Hulk

+1
    Congrats on your new ski Sir!!!

+1
    Did you notice RPM at idle before it cut out?

Thank you, I feel like a lucky guy too. I did not notice the rpm. It happened after cruising around the marina so it was 5 mph or less. It did not cut off from normal riding. I plan to ride again on Monday and watch it. The dealer ran it for 30 min at the shop and I put 45 minutes on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrewzrSVHO View Post
    Thank you, I feel like a lucky guy too. I did not notice the rpm. It happened after cruising around the marina so it was 5 mph or less. It did not cut off from normal riding. I plan to ride again on Monday and watch it. The dealer ran it for 30 min at the shop and I put 45 minutes on it.
    Thirty minutes out of the water? That's a little weird.

+1
    When mine was started for first time on the water it felt so tight it seemed to have trouble idling. I followed the Yamaha break-in procedure from the manual, with the proviso that I tried to fit as many acceleration cycles up to limit rpm (5000... ish...) and as much throttle opening as I could, to enhance manifold pressure and push the rings out against the honed cylinder walls. This is to bed them in, or "polish" them to close tolerances.

The Yamaha manual stipulates the first 5 mins of running at 2000 rpm. My understanding of this is; due the dynamic effects of the top end components moving a little "quicker" than idle there is actually less dragging friction on the cams until they polish up a bit and work the oil film better. I have also seen this recommendation for use after engine rebuilds in a different situation. On my FX SVHO that equated to about no-wake speed. After that it did idle OK, and then there is 90 mins at not more than 5000 rpm. It continued to loosen during that process and still is afterwards.

Once through that first 1.6 hrs "the watercraft can be operated normally" (whoooeeee!), so straight away I always give my HO motors (3 of them now) plenty of WOT in modest amounts followed by other varied speeds and rpm's and loads for cooling and continued break-in, they always seem to come good and loosen up all the way to 15 - 20 engine hours. Basically, once through any mandatory process (warranty consideration) I run it in exactly the same way I intend riding it.

Sounds like you have done something similar, so it should continue to loosen up and all is well. However, I'm surprised that a dealer doesn't stipulate a procedure is pretty clearly laid out in the manual (p63), I figured Yamaha would insist on that... Maybe that initial running you mentioned they did was done at 2000 rpm, I have to admit I would prefer that done on the water.

Congrats too, your gonna love it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information