Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What about the Sea-Doo bilge pump kit?

Does anyone know what the downside is of installing Sea-Doo's bilge pump kit for my GTR 215? It comes with all the wiring, etc. I assume they know what they're doing by only selling a 500 gph pump.

+1
    there is never a downside to Installing a bilge pump as long as it was installed properly

+1
    I've thought about installing one myself on my gtr. Are they mostly for if a hose comes loose and start taking on water? The 11 hrs I've been on mine so far she's been bone dry inside and I have taken a few waves over the bow. What kind if holes are required to do the install. I'm reluctant to do any drilling to my baby.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy00 View Post
    I've thought about installing one myself on my gtr. Are they mostly for if a hose comes loose and start taking on water? The 11 hrs I've been on mine so far she's been bone dry inside and I have taken a few waves over the bow. What kind if holes are required to do the install. I'm reluctant to do any drilling to my baby.
    One hole for the water to pump out if it's ever needed...and another small hole to mount the switch. Yes, they are for if a hose comes loose or if the carbon seal fails or any other accident that may cause you to take on water. Very cheap insurance. Like a parachute...better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Here's some pictures of my install.

+1
    Looks like a good kit, but wish it came with a larger volume pump.

+1
    I've got the OEM kit in my GTR. It does need a hole for the exhaust as Q says, I've put mine up under the seat towards the back with a 45degree billet black outlet (the kit one is white plastic, straight thru out the back under the waterline - no thanks!). The OEM kit does not need any holes for a switch as its connected directly to dedicated areas on the fuse box (3 wires) and runs continuously on the same circuit as the IBR, so turns off automatically after 3 minutes it says. These are rated to run dry all the time, for over 1,000 hours so shouldn't be a problem. The kit comes with a stainless bracket to mount in the right rear of the hull under the pipe going to the ride plate radiator (you'll see 2 small holes predrilled into the hull there). Hardest bit is the @[email protected]#[email protected]$ fuse box connections, tough area to work in.

+1
    Interesting, so there obviously isn't a float within any of these pumps.

+1
    I feel the same way. It's going to be painful drilling a 1 inch hole in the hull. There are 2 main reasons to have one: 1) if the pump fails and opens up the (carbon ring) seal through the hull (which happened to me), and 2) if any of the hoses carrying water from the outside for cooling gets into the hull because of a failed hose or clamp. Either way, it's a bad day. When the Sea-Doos get older it's a must-have, but what the exact age is, I don't know.

+1

+1
    Thanks. Looks good. Is that the Sea-Doo one? Does it need to have the key in to work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information