Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

3 plugs are white 1 plug dark brown...whats happening...see pics

hey guys,need some help...2013 yamaha vxs with 17 hourswent for ride today and it ran strong,no hesitation etc...got home and while flushing out i goosed throttle a few times to about 3500 rpm and had 2 or 3 small backfire pops....pulled plugs and this is what i found....#4 plug is dark brown...what is this a sign of and what could be causing it...like i said it ran fine with zero hesitation,no popping,no smoke etc.....i did not fog over winter but did top off gas tank with stabilizer and would crank it off hose about every 2-3 weeks and let run at idle for 15-20 seconds....will be getting new plugs in morning....my plugs were gapped at .032.........on a side note heres a few pics of my newest add ons...jet trim set cover,all black trim,red and green led lights at bow and blue led recessed inside the ram air scoop....also have the blue led lights under rear grab bar,hydro turf and a beer bag on back....any advice about the plugs??? or ideas to the cause of the 1 plug being dark brown??

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Try a fresh set of plugs......maybe you have a compression problem on #4

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    Try a fresh set of plugs......maybe you have a compression problem on #4

oh shit...hope not...will check compression first before i go get plugs.....if it was a compression problem would it still be as snappy as it is and hitting 72 mph??? to me it looks like it would have fell off some...

+1
    I had the same issue on my 42 hr FZS last spring after putting a Fizzle intercooler on. Went thru all kinds of troubleshooting when it didn't run right, low boost, low top speeds, running way lean on the O2 sensor, but low speed power felt fine. One plug looked like yours and was bad. New plugs and all was right with the world. Doesn't hurt to check compression but don't overthink it until you replace the plugs.

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I had the same issue on my 42 hr FZS last spring after putting a Fizzle intercooler on. Went thru all kinds of troubleshooting when it didn't run right, low boost, low top speeds, running way lean on the O2 sensor, but low speed power felt fine. One plug looked like yours and was bad. New plugs and all was right with the world. Doesn't hurt to check compression but don't overthink it until you replace the plugs.
    cant stand it....going to the barn right now to check compression...

The 3 plugs look normal. Have you noticed any missing? Likely just a bad plug, probably isn't firing all the time and got fouled up. I wouldn't jump to a compression issue.

Swap them out and see if it goes away.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Geez I said try plugs first lol

+1
    Its very common to foul a plug or 2 after running the 1st tank of the season.
    That's why I always say to change your plugs after the 1st tank.
    That fuel preserving stuff really doesn't work to well.
    Also run some injector cleaner thru it just to make sure your injectors are clean..

10. +1 by:

ok...i checked compression....dont know if its the correct way but its what ive always been told....motor was cold,zip tied throttle wide open,pulled 1 plug at a time and checked all.......200 psi accross the board on all 4....now i feel a lil better but still wanting to know what caused it....i mean,damn if i ran 72+ mph today with 1 bad plug....then tommorrow with 4 new plugs i ought to hit about 90 with my ears pinned back and a big grin....haaaa....yeah right...

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Prolly just fuel stabilizer .......change dem plugs And get
    After it

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information