Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First day out with our 07 FX!

Kids had a blast. Took them to a spot with almost nobody else there (only 2 other skis) and started teaching them how to use it. Someday this week will have them take the online safety course. I put a plastic pipe in the ground and had them try practicing like it was the trailer or another boat and to learn to maneuver right up to it and around it. That reverse handle is a bit hard for them. My youngest daughter can pull the handle out, but has trouble pushing it back. I also spent a lot of time teaching them had to maneuver and do emergency turns, etc.

Ski runs great at all speeds. Right up to just over 10k rpm. Speedo seems useless. No way am I doing 90mph. Used it for 3 hrs and still had a half tank left.

Some comments:

Getting ski off trailer:
    1) I've use the liquid rollers on our boat trailer and it works great. Are there cheaper alternatives?
    2) We had to back the suv way into the water, a lot further than with the boat. First time I ever saw our tires spin trying to pull out a super light empty jetski trailer because of how far we backed in. Never happens with heavier dual axle boat trailer. Or did we just back in too far? And I still had to use a lot of reverse to pull off the trailer. Another option was I thinking of buying a swing tonque adapter and just putting a longer tonque on the front, anybody ever do this?

JetSki
    3) Is there a knob or something on the back of the speedo for adjusting it? I know it will never be perfect, but 90 is ridiculous.
    4) Bilge bump - I seem to always have a tiny amount of water at bottom. Even after I removed it all before using it. I always hear the bilge running when I turn the ski off. Does this bilge run continuously when the motor is on?
    5) I will try to get to the bilge strainer and make sure it is clean.
    6) Found another difference between the FX and FX HO models, a mid section pop up cleat. This I will install. Just need to pick some...
    7) Front hatch dampener seems broke, won't hold lid up. Will need to get that part.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hfwb View Post
    Kids had a blast. Took them to a spot with almost nobody else there (only 2 other skis) and started teaching them how to use it. Someday this week will have them take the online safety course. I put a plastic pipe in the ground and had them try practicing like it was the trailer or another boat and to learn to maneuver right up to it and around it. That reverse handle is a bit hard for them. My youngest daughter can pull the handle out, but has trouble pushing it back. I also spent a lot of time teaching them had to maneuver and do emergency turns, etc.
    Nice! This is what it's all about, training a new generation of PWC riders to be safe and having fun with the kids. They will get used to the reverse; Sea-Doo has a better solution for this with their push-button system, but your kids will get used to the Yamaha, trust me.

Ski runs great at all speeds. Right up to just over 10k rpm. Speedo seems useless. No way am I doing 90mph. Used it for 3 hrs and still had a half tank left.
    Agreed, it shouldn't be that far off; something may be stuck in the little wheel under the ski (weeds, sand, pebbles, etc); probably just needs an adjustment. Most of us pay no attention the the speedos anyway; we carry a free App called MAX SPEED on our smart phones and it's much more accurate.

Getting ski off trailer:
    1) I've use the liquid rollers on our boat trailer and it works great. Are there cheaper alternatives?
    2) We had to back the suv way into the water, a lot further than with the boat. First time I ever saw our tires spin trying to pull out a super light empty jetski trailer because of how far we backed in. Never happens with heavier dual axle boat trailer. Or did we just back in too far? And I still had to use a lot of reverse to pull off the trailer. Another option was I thinking of buying a swing tonque adapter and just putting a longer tonque on the front, anybody ever do this?
    Yeah sounds like you might need a longer tongue on it, you might paste up a side view full length photo of your trailer so we can see what you've got.

Does this bilge run continuously when the motor is on?
    Yep, that's normal.

+1
    Here's my way of unloading and loading the ski. I have a toyota sienna (not even an SUV), before I came up with this, I would wet my tires, drum brakes would stick and they rusted to crap, cost me $600+ so here I go and how I do it without getting my tires in the water high enough...I loosen the strap about 4 feet and then lock it...I back out when I see the skii is in the water, I hit the brake and ski rolls back on the bunks about 4 feet and stops...then I undo the strap and just roll the ski in the water by pushing or getting on it...

getting back on trailer, that is the easiest, just back out until about 1/3 to 1/2 bunks are in the water, then ride it very slowly..when you get where you feel resistance, squeeze the throttle a couple of times and get it all the way on in a very controlled manner....

your wheels will stay dry...

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Yeah sounds like you might need a longer tongue on it, you might paste up a side view full length photo of your trailer so we can see what you've got.
    When I get a chance, I'll try and post a pic. Right now ski is in garage already buried behind stuff. I did go measure it and there's only 3' from tip of ski to tip of tonque.

Another reason I thought to extend the tonque is if we use the wrangler to tow it, the rear swing gate will better clear the winch.

But then I've read that if I extend the tonque I need to readjust the weight. I'm thinking moving the ski forward defeats the purpose of extending the tonque so maybe I would just mount some cargo box or something to front. It would be nice to have a place to dump wet life jackets,etc and not smell up the car.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    so here I go and how I do it without getting my tires in the water high enough...I loosen the strap about 4 feet and then lock it...I back out when I see the skii is in the water, I hit the brake and ski rolls back on the bunks about 4 feet and stops...then I undo the strap and just roll the ski in the water by pushing or getting on it..
    Thanks. I don't have a roller trailer though. Don't think I like the idea of 'hitting' the brakes becoming a part of my routine.

+1
    +1 on CaptainReza's technique, I too use a car to tow my jetski (Toyota Matrix) and not only do i not want to get my car wet I don't want my car to end up at the bottom of lake , slamming the brakes works pretty well.

ok, wow. I will need to pay more attention to what other skiers do and how their trailers are setup. I'd think slamming on the brakes on a slippery ramp could get a car sliding down even further in.

I was also looking at the trailer and thinking maybe I could lower the bunks to the frame, that would get the ski another 2" - 3" lower. How much travel do the leaf springs have? I want to make sure they wouldn't hit the bottom of the ski.

+1
    You are driving at 5 mph tops if that and slamming on the brakes would just jerk the ski enough to break free ...you are not going down like racing someone....we are trying to help you have a better experience but it looks like you are pretty pessimistic...if I were you and I was new to the sports, I would listen with more open mind...Good luck

+1
    If you own an FX HO you want @CaptainReza to be your friend he has put lots of hours on these older HO's and you can learn a lot from him.

10. +1 by:

It's not that I'm pessimistic, I'd just hoped there was a solution that didn't involve needing to 'break it' free. But if in the end that's what it takes, then I guess that's what it will be.

I'm use to my boats floating off with the simplest of pushes. Maybe liquid rollers will help alot with the 'break free' part. Even after backing way in, I had to get off the ski and lift the front and push to try and get it off.

I guess I've just never noticed anyone 'slamming' on their brakes before at ramps. I do see some people that back their trucks way way way in till whatever it is floats off a few feet (but pwc/boat is tied to trailer or somebody is already on to drive away) and then they pull forward. I know that won't work for me not that I would even risk backing that far in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information