Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

1997 Polaris slx 785 pro rebuild

So... The end of last season before I winterized my pro,I went to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I was just riding it a few weeks before this, At first I thought it was a pump bearing that siezed, but after I removed the pump and it still didn't turn over I assumed the crank somehow filled with water and locked the crank, well I decided to take it apart to determine the problem and I found that the skirt of the mag piston was destroyed and the pieces locked up the motor. I have the motor pulled from the machine (what a pain) and sitting on the work bench. I am seriously thinking of rebuilding it since the machine itself is 9.5/10 for overall condition. However it sounds like this is a fairly costly rebuild,and parts are difficult to find. I talked to someone who said they thought 750 pistons are compatible. Also thinking about having the cylinders re nickled. Anyways if anyone has any advice, or parts... Let me know. Also, how do you remove the magneto wires from the motor, I took apart the electrical box and disconnected everything as I did not want to cut wires, but the plug does not fit thru the crank case.
    thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	324382  
    Last edited by Chuck785; 02-16-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    You have to pull the flywheel to get the wires and the stator off together. As far as I know, 750 pistons work. The cylinders can be replated. Sounds like its time for a rebuild. Should be able to rebuild it fully for under 2K

+1
    Ok, so the motor is completely ripped apart. 1 piston is toast (mag) but cylinder looks good, center piston and cylinder look good , but pto piston is heavily scored and cylinder has a descent scratch in it. The crank is in very good condition bearings all spin nice but I will still have a shop inspect. Which leads me to my next question, has anyone had any experience with a shop that can re plate cylinders in the Minneapolis MN area? Also I am looking for an exhaust bolt. One snapped off in the cylinder so once I get it removed I will need a replacement. It's the shorter exhaust bolt on the top side of the exhaust not the longer ones.
    Thanks.

+1
    It has been a year since I ripped apart the motor on my 785. I have recently mailed the cylinders and new Pistons to john @ rock county, and the crank is over at speedwerx/hotseat performance. Initial review from them is the crank looks good, but they said they are going to look at to make sure it's right. The cylinders I sent out are going to be re- plated and matched to the new Pistons. I am still looking for some parts so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1.) I need an exhaust bolt that had snapped off in one of the cylinders. It is a shorter bolt, located on one of the top holes on the center cylinder.
    2.)I will also need a carb rebuild kit (3) actually and recommendations on where to find a good deal on the kits. And opinions about mikuni vs aftermarket.
    3.)i will be replacing all the fuel lines and wondering what to use. OEM gas line is like a gray hose, should I use something similar or go with clear gas line?
    4.)I am wondering if anyone has a actuator cable that goes to the exhaust valves. Mine works but seems to be wore out on the end that attaches to the valve, the cylinder shaped part made of a brass like material is just really worn
    5.) still need to pick up crank seals, and gasket kit. Any help here would be appreciated as well.

thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    John should have pretty much everything you are looking for I would think.

+1
    John has been great!, I know he has sold some of his 785 stuff so that is why I am on the lookout. I was also in the garage tonight cleaning the inside of the hull, getting ready to drop a fresh engine in! So if anyone has parts please let me know! Thank you!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	350961

+1
    I have, and strongly recommend Genuine Mikuni brand kits, needles, and seats, ect in stock here.

Should easily be able to get you a bolt.
    Pretty sure I have the cable.
    Already have looking into gaskets / seals for you.
    I sell fuel line by the foot.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Are your head pipe bolts allen head or 10mm heads if so I have some if John doesn't

+1
    For all you Polaris guys needing hardware, I have ordered from this place, and hardware matches OEM hardware perfect. https://www.belmetric.com/

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    For all you Polaris guys needing hardware, I have ordered from this place, and hardware matches OEM hardware perfect. https://www.belmetric.com/

Nice!!!

I just checked it out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information