2001 Virage Issue

Original owner of a 2001 Virage 1200, ski has been sitting about 2 years now. Decided to try to get it running today to possibly sell, cant ride it anymore but that's a different story. Well I got it to run after a new battery/plugs fresh gas. Took it to town to fill the tank but when I got home when ever I hit the start button the display goes dead, sometimes u can get it to come back if u hit the reset on ECM sometimes u just have to wait. Solenoid will just briefly click with speedo going to 60 mph then all goes dead. Battery is fully charged and reading 12.3 volts or so. Think this would be a bad Solenoid? It seems to have been replaced its black plastic one, not brown or metal. Or do I have another issue? Thinking of ordering a Solenoid as they are not very expensive as a start. Is it possible i fried the Solenoid trying to get it started this morning, had to crank it quite a lot.

Thanks for any help

Banned User
    +1
    Im wondering if its a starter issue. Can you spin the motor by hand by grabbing the coupler?

+1
    Sounds like a loose/bad corroded connection somewhere as long as your battery is fully charged. When the display goes dead like that your not getting voltage. Double check connections and battery state. whatever you do, dont try to hook up a booster or charger while the battery is in the ski. that will cause problems.

Threw the rear jet? No it does not move at all, kinda hard to fit my large hand in there but it doesnt seem to spin. Is it suppose to spin freely?
    Last edited by Rodan; 03-11-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Pull the spark plugs and the plastic cover thats over the coupler at the rear of the engine. Then you can grab it and spin the motor by hand

6. +1 by:

Aye. Will try that tonight. Figure its eather startor or the relay, relay just makes lots of noise when trying to start, even tryed to jump it and nothing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
    Aye. Will try that tonight. Figure its eather startor or the relay, relay just makes lots of noise when trying to start, even tryed to jump it and nothing.
    Those solenoids do go bad, cross over the solenoid with a large screwdriver to see if it turns over.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
    Those solenoids do go bad, cross over the solenoid with a large screwdriver to see if it turns over.
    Did that, display reset stater didnt turn over.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bad solenoid would not kill voltage to the display.

Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables.

Make sure the engine block ground connection is 100% clean metal, clean bolt, clean cable end.

If still no start, inspect the circuit breaker (Reset button). If that goes bad it can cause voltage drop when the solenoid kicks in.

Thread Information