Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1996 Seadoo XP - wont start

I have a 1996 XP that wont crank over. Engine is not locked up. I get the 2 beeps from the ECU when I put the key in place but no ignition happens. I have checked all of my wire connections, ground wire, starter wire, fuses in ECU box everything seems to be in order and well grounded.
    I did notice that the ignition coil in the rear box seems to be getting pretty warm but not sure if that is an issue, I switched it out with a spare that I had and the spare also got warm.

Any ideas on what I can check here? I am not a knowledgable mechanic but i hope I can figure this out.

+1
    My bet is on either the start stop button, or the starter solenoid... with the key OFF, press the start stop button a couple of times while watching the gauges, if you don't get power you probably have a bad button. A continuity check will confirm.

You could also go to the starter relay (where the positive battery cable goes to) and cross it over and see if the starter turns... if so it very well could be the button as adam mentioned!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    will it even 'click" in the rear black box? if yes, you need to replace the main ground and the starter solenoid. They typically look ok but corrode under the plastic. If not, its the starter button, or the fuse. If you have a spare gray box I would swap that out and see if that fixes anything.

What do I look for the guages to do when I hit the button? Will the guages read or light up? When I put the key on the buttons light up in the electric gauge. I do have a spare button from another 96 xp, I can try to swap them out. I assume it is just a plug in type of wire.

Can you walk me through how to cross over the battery cable wires? It sounds risky and i dont want to make matters worse than they already are. I checked my ground wire from the block to the battery and it seems to be okay, not corroded and had a tight connection. It is connected at the front of the block on the same bolt that hold the top of the starter.

+1
    You will not see the corrosion on the outside... It's inside the wire.Yes, the gauges will light up and the fuel gauge will read full for a second. If you want to test it, go to the starter solenoid and take a pair of pliars and touch the two points where the positive leads connect to. If it turns over it's the starter relay. Next question is if you have ever jumped this ski from a running car? If so you may have mpem issues.

not sure where the positive leads are at. Are these in the rear electric box, basically where the 2 large red wires connect to? No, this machine has never been jumped from a car or even a charger.

+1
    Yes, where the two red leads connect. That's the starter relay. Touch the two metal nuts with a pair of pliars. It will arc but won't hurt it. If it cranks that is the issue

ok, touched the 2 and got a huge spark but no crank. Did that twice, no crank.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information