Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

High Altitude Performance of the RXP

I thought I would post about this since everyone seems to ride these skis in the ocean or at sea level.

Just to let you guys know that at 6225 ft the RXP lost around 4-5 mph. This is why I need to do a stage upgrade. Lets be honest- 64 mph to 68-69 mph is a huge difference!

I only rode my ski at sea level before the 10 hour service. Just like all of us, I decided to punch it a few times before the 10 hours and really understood the power I'm dealing with... but then I brought it up to Tahoe for the summer and couldn't believe the loss in performance. I'm not just talking about top end, but acceleration too. Technically speaking, I would say I lost 10 to 15% in performance.

Also, I wanted to bring up the fuel consumption of the RXP. Check out the map below, I rode this ski from the Tahoe Keys Marina (South) to Zephyr Cove (East) to Incline Village (North) and back WITHOUT filling up. Not to mention I still had an 1/8 of gas left. For a huge supercharged engine, as long as you don't pin it, it does quite well.

Just to give you an idea- thats about 25 miles one way so about 50 miles there and back.

Last edited by vidbuster; 03-23-2007 at 12:19 PM.

+1
    At sea level my 06 RXP did not awake until 17 hours. I also averaged 64-65 for the first 10 hours. Most I got stock was 68GPS. Even at 40 hours I am still fininding a bit more speed. Now I am at 75+ with all the mods. Whats your RPM like?
    Last edited by Antiguan FZR; 03-23-2007 at 12:37 PM.

The 215 engine definately does very good on gas when not WOT.

I ride at 3700 feet and the most rpms my 05 stock ski has ever gotten is 7700 and it is usualy around 7550. Even thought it does not get very hot here and the water never gets above 70 degrees. the most it has ever gps is like 66 mph.

I am planning on doing a 4 inch intake to hopefully get my rpms back up to 8100.

What kind of RPM does your RXP turn? SeaDoo does offer a high altitude prop to help but that will not totally fix the issue.
    You may also want to buy and aftermarket prop and depitch it a bit.

+1
    Get a bigger supercharger wheel. Adding back that lost boost is about the most economical way to get your stock performance back.

You mentioned that you had the 10 hour service done. Check your oil level and make sure it is between the lowest mark and no more than the half mark. They most likely put to much oil in it. The elevation will make a diference but should not be that much.

+1

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, I've noticed a few things. First my RPMs never went to 8000 and my oil level is pretty high.

I'm going to ride it for the first time of the season tomorrow at sea level. After that, I most likely won't ride it until after my stage I upgrade and oil change in May.

+1
    Yep,
    I notice the drop in performance and rpms too at higher elevations. When I ride at Deep Creek MD (2500 feet) my 215 engines max out around 7800 for the rxp, and about 7700 for the rxt.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by vidbuster View Post
    Thanks guys, I've noticed a few things. First my RPMs never went to 8000 and my oil level is pretty high.

I'm going to ride it for the first time of the season tomorrow at sea level. After that, I most likely won't ride it until after my stage I upgrade and oil change in May.
    Definitely lower that oil level i did with mine and it gave me 50 rpms. it was at the top bend. but i think altitude is your main problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information