Question about your FX HO?

Hi Brian - Im sure you've seen my posts around here. Im trying to figure out a way to get a PWC to work for some fishing up here in Mass. I'm in no rush and need to learn as much as I can before I jump in. When trolling with your FX HO, whats the minimum speed you can go? I watched the Boat Test vid which says the FX HO has a no wake mode of 5mph, but that's too fast for Striper. Does the cruise assist allow you to set the speed to say 2-3mph? If not, how do you slow the craft down to troll speed for Stripers?

My hope would be that you can pop it out neutral, slow chug forward at say 2mph, then enable cruise assist and sit back and enjoy the surroundings. Also, is there a way to keep the steering the same direction without having to hold the bars? (for example, so I can turn around and hold the rod while trolling at 2mph off the back?).

And when drifting life eel on a 3 way with the engine off, or jigging, I assume the noise points into the current which allows you to easily fish off the side? But are the handle bars stiff enough to keep the noise into the current or do you need to hold them/keep repositioning so the boat doesnt turn?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. Thanks Brian.

+1
    The cruise control is great for trolling at faster speeds for fish like tuna, wahoo, mahi. For striped bass I am pretty much trolling at idle, yes you can bump it in out of neutral to really slow down. There is no "Rudder" on a pwc so turning the handle bar with the engine off is useless. The ski drifts side to the current or wind which ever is stronger usually.
    The most lines I troll is two, the most I drift is four. Call me at 757-342-5780 if you have any other detailed questions. Sorry I did not see this till now.

Consider mounting a trolling motor to a fishing rack?

Quote Originally Posted by ryntipton View Post
    Consider mounting a trolling motor to a fishing rack?
    Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I thought about this, but havent seen anyone do it. Brian, have you thought about mounting an electric trolling motor? That way you can save on gas and go at at slower speeds for Striped Bass. I guess you would need some way of lifting it onto the transom when underway, only dropping it when you're ready to fish. Ive never seen a setup like this. Good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by jetskibrian View Post
    The cruise control is great for trolling at faster speeds for fish like tuna, wahoo, mahi. For striped bass I am pretty much trolling at idle, yes you can bump it in out of neutral to really slow down. There is no "Rudder" on a pwc so turning the handle bar with the engine off is useless. The ski drifts side to the current or wind which ever is stronger usually.
    The most lines I troll is two, the most I drift is four. Call me at 757-342-5780 if you have any other detailed questions. Sorry I did not see this till now.
    Brian, I always figured your would drift nose into the current due to the shape of the hull, but not so? So its easy to fish off the side when drifting? Also, you mentioned trolling at idle. Do you just pop in and our of gear then? Doesnt this put strain on the motor/menchanics, and get tedious if you're doing it all day long. Whats the best solution for Striper.

And given that cruise control becomes moot with Stiper, do you think the Yamaha VX Sport would be a good choice? It's $9k new, which attracts me most. Thanks man.

+1

+1
    Maybe a trolling motor in a lake but not in the ocean, I do fine with trolling at idle for stripers. I prefer the larger FXHO and SUV's.

Thread Information