Question 2001 Polaris Virage Starter

Hello, New to Green Hulk and new to Polaris PWCs I am sort of mechanically inclined but not too sure where the starter is on my 2001 Polaris Virage 2 Cylinder Domestic Engine (red). I am assuming I need a new one due to when I go to start it, all I hear is a fast spinning sound, it sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging! Please Help!! Thanks in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

A freely spinning starter motor often means the Bendix gear assembly is not working properly, or the teeth are stripped where the Bendix meshes with the flywheel ring gear.

The starter motor is hiding down low on the left side of the engine, under the exhaust.

The Bendix gear is tucked behind the flywheel. To get at the Bendix the flywheel cover must be removed, then the flywheel must come off.

See my signature links for some notes on removing the flywheel.

Before you do all this, make very sure the battery is delivering strong voltage while the engine is cranking. A weak battery can create all sorts of symptoms and problems.

Awesome! and thanks! I have used a battery charger for testing still to start and sometimes clicks the relay, which I need a new one, still have the metal backed one. but have not had the engine turn yet due to the Bendix not working properly from what it sounds like! Again, THANK YOU!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeman2222 View Post
    Awesome! and thanks! I have used a battery charger for testing still to start and sometimes clicks the relay, which I need a new one, still have the metal backed one. but have not had the engine turn yet due to the Bendix not working properly from what it sounds like! Again, THANK YOU!!!
    I have spare starter motors and bendii if you need them. PM me if interested.

+1
    ... I have used a battery charger for testing still to start and sometimes clicks the relay, which I need a new one, still have the metal backed one. but have not had the engine turn yet due to the Bendix not working properly from what it sounds like! ...
    Do NOT use a booster or an AC powered charger to crank the engine. Use a proper watercraft battery.

There is a real risk of damaging the electronics if you do not have a healthy and proper sized battery installed. I recommend the Deka ETX16 AGM type battery.

6. +1 by:

UH OH I may have damaged the something to do with the display... last I messed I messed with it, I couldnt get it to turn on but that was just for a few minutes what damage could I have done? What would be the first step in fixing it?
    Last edited by wheeman2222; 03-12-2014 at 06:15 PM.

+1
    UH OH I may have damaged the something to do with the display... last I messed I messed with it, I couldnt get it to turn on but that was just for a few minutes what damage could I have done? What would be the first step in fixing it?
    Start with a new battery. Then start troubleshooting.

Banned User
    +1

Hopefully it just needs the fuse replaced.

Okay got into it and all that was wrong was that the Key for the key-way was missing! I don't know whether the person that had if before messed it up or what, but it did have a new flywheel on it. So thank you for all the advice. Now I opened up the electrical box and what i found was a rats nest... it has been butchered all up. I have attached some pictures, could someone maybe post some pictures of what this box is suppose to look like? and even better would be a color detail wiring diagram.. please help! Thanks in advance!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140314_185740.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	324683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140314_185758.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	324684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140314_185812.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	324685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140314_185851.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	324686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140314_185908.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	324687

+1
    You can find wiring diagram info via my signature links.

Those photos are a tad small and fuzzy. Hard to tell whether it is mostly factory or not.

Thread Information