2001 polaris Virage magneto

My 2001 Virage kills every bettery I out into it.. it runs great for about 2 hours then just dies and will not start.. I took the new batteries to a mechanic who tested them and was told thay are no good.. The ski seems to be depolerizing the batteries. I have taken the magnety/stator out and am about to purchase a new one... Is this the cause of my battery issue? the batteries do not go dead when the ski is at the dock it only runs them dead when running.. any help would be greatly appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have you checked the charging system?

When the engine is running the battery voltage should be around 14.5 DC volts or so, and remain stable as RPM changes. Anything under 13.5 volts with engine running indicates the charging system is not actually working.

Sounds like you are on the right track! But it would have me stumped as well.... may try searching if a pos and neg are crossed somewhere allowing for the battery to drain when the power is being allowed from the Hall effect sensor(the sensor that lets power to the orange wire when the crank is turning) maybe there is a strip somewhere along the orange wire that is grounding and draining the electrical. Check out K447 's avatar and look into his pages about where electrical is explained.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeman2222 View Post
    Sounds like you are on the right track! But it would have me stumped as well.... may try searching if a pos and neg are crossed somewhere allowing for the battery to drain when the power is being allowed from the Hall effect sensor (the sensor that lets power to the orange wire when the crank is turning) ...

Check out K447 's avatar and look into his pages about where electrical is explained.
    This is not how the Hall Effect sensor works. You are confusing the ignition system with the LR module functions.

Reversed battery polarity would cause all sorts of troubles, of course. LR module damage would be likely, even stator damage is possible. Starter would spin backwards so bendix would not engage.

Make very sure battery negative post is connected to engine ground.

Thread Information