Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To trade or not??

I am selling my atv and I was offered a 98 or 99 Kawasaki 1100 stx for trade the owner said it was a carbed model.It has 250 hrs.I don't know very much about ski's, mainly been into atvs but we are moving to Florida from Georgia so I figured I would give them a try.What are the does and don'ts of this sport?Is this a good ski?Can anybody help me figure out which year this is?Any info is greatly appreciated!Thanks

+1
    I've got both a '98 & '99 STX 1100. They're great beginner 'Skis, BUT there are a few things to know. With 250 hours, it's due for a top overhaul if it hasn't been done already. If it's had an overhaul, make sure they didn't install an SBT rebuilt engine--they're crap!

You will want to check the oil lines and make sure they are secure and make sure the material is supple. They get brittle with age and split. Also, the carburetors may need to be overhauled about every 5-10 years. It's very important to run Sta-Bil in the fuel prior to winter storage to prevent gum formation in the fuel system.

Make sure the electronic display works properly. When you get it, you'll need to remove it and seal the plug on the back with 3M 5200 sealant to keep moisture out (if you were to flip the 'Ski). If water gets in, new displays are expen$ive.

If you decided to run in salt water, it's imperative to learn how to properly flush the 'Ski engine and pump, etc. after each outing.

The value of those boats in good shape (with trailer) would probably be around $2200-2600, depending on your local market. Do NOT buy a PWC without a test drive ON THE WATER! Running on the trailer means NOTHING.

Thanks for the info it helps alot!He said he keeps stabil in it when he stores it...

It has not had the top end overhauled..what would have to be replaced and what would something like that cost?

+1
    Stabil is crap... it clogs the fuel system.
    I've seen it turn to gel in a fuel tank..

Get a 4 stroke ski you will not regret it.

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    It has not had the top end overhauled..what would have to be replaced and what would something like that cost?
    Top End is normally pistons, rings and gaskets. Wrist pin bearings aren't included but should be done. You can find the entire kit online from $280-$500 depending on brand. just google it and you'll find a ton. If you do the entire motor your looking at $1200 but as Steve45 said watch out for SBT. I don't have experience with them but have heard a lot of cross talk about there motors.

I've had a 97 1100STX and there great ski's but with age be careful. Check the compression and make sure there isn't more than 10% difference in readings. If there is you have bigger problems then top end. Last year on mine the rear cylinder was low and I had the top end replaced. All was good for about 5 hours and the bottom end blew. At this point the case was shot and I scrapped the ski and switched to 4 strokes. I love 2 stokes but I don't miss the issues.

You'll get tons of opinions on here and ultimately it's your call. Check what Steve45 and I said for sure. Good luck with the decision.

+1
    Cost will depend on whether or not you can do the work or pay someone to do it for you. If it's running fine now, you shouldn't have to bore the cylinders. As merkdog said, $300-500 for parts.

I'm a firm believer in Sta-Bil. I've got some carbs on my Yamaha boat that I tore down after 14 years and they look absolutely new inside. I'll post pics later. I run it in EVERYTHING I own except cars and my airplane.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exciter Carb 3.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	324673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exciter Carb 5.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	324674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exciter Carb 6.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	324675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exciter Carb 10.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	324676
    Last edited by steve45; 03-14-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added photos.

Thanks for the help guys..I am still thinking about it.What I will probably do is just sell the atv and take the money and try to find a little newer model.What would be a good dependable model/make I could find for around $3000?Do all 2 strokes have to be rebuilt around 250hrs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Thanks for the help guys..I am still thinking about it.What I will probably do is just sell the atv and take the money and try to find a little newer model.What would be a good dependable model/make I could find for around $3000?Do all 2 strokes have to be rebuilt around 250hrs?
    That is probably your best bet. I'm actually surprised it lasted 250hrs. Most will blow or lose compression in one cylinder way before that. On any toy (jet ski, MX bike, ATV etc...) all depends on how they were taken care of. I'm not a fan of buying used ski's so probably the wrong person to ask about one for $3k. The reason being you never know what your getting. Yes there are good people out there but there are also a lot of jerkoff's selling junk. If you could increase your bankroll, I would look for a left over (last year model but still new). This gives you a warranty and eliminates the thought of what someone did or didn't do to the ski. There are some real good deals out there and dealers are paying juice on the unit by now and normally just want it gone. Checkout pwcfinder.com and enter 2012-2013 in the year and see what comes up. Play the dealers against each other and you'll find a great deal. If you go the used route, just make sure to water test it. Trailer running on a hose is NOT the same. Get a compression gauge and check it. Fresh and salt water running is a big deal also. General hull appearance is a big factor in how well the owner took care of it. If the hull is oxidized and banged up, you know the guy doesn't care and probably didn't take proper steps to care for motor.

Again this is just my opinion so take if for what it's worth. I've owned lots of toys, new/used and had many good experiences but some bad.

I'm with Steve45 on sta-bil. I've used Sea Foam also with great success.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information