Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help from my fellow Canadians /licensing/ of US imported PWC?

Well hopefully someone has actually gone through this process before and can maybe help me out ....so I'm looking into buying an spx off this guy and well he has no paperwork for the machine and was never transferred into his name ....anybody with some tips that might help ....what to do here ??!
    Last edited by K447; 03-14-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Without proper paperwork you will not be able to import the machine into Canada.

Depending on which state the current 'owner' is in there may be a way for him to get the legal ownership properly assigned to his name, with real papers. After which he can sell it to you. This is something the seller must do himself, you cannot do it for him.

Somewhere on GreenHulk I have posted previously about what is involved in importing a watercraft into Canada.

If you have all the paperwork in order the process at the border coming into Canada is straightforward. If not, you may simply not be allowed to bring it into the country.

If you are also buying a trailer then there needs to be separate paperwork for the trailer. Separate Bill of Sale, separate ownership transfer signed by the prior owner.

If the trailer is exactly (to the month of manufacture shown on the VIN plate) 15 years old or older it is exempt from the $209 import/inspection charge. The VIN sticker on the trailer must be present and actually readable as the border inspector will look for it.

One reason you need proper paperwork is that you cannot get new hull numbers (that get stuck on both sides of the bow) from Transport Canada unless you can prove you imported it properly and paid HST at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Without proper paperwork you will not be able to import the machine into Canada.

Depending on which state the current 'owner' is in there may be a way for him to get the legal ownership properly assigned to his name, with real papers. After which he can sell it to you. This is something the seller must do himself, you cannot do it for him.

Somewhere on GreenHulk I have posted previously about what is involved in importing a watercraft into Canada.

If you have all the paperwork in order the process at the border coming into Canada is straightforward. If not, you may simply not be allowed to bring it into the country.

If you are also buying a trailer then there needs to be separate paperwork for the trailer. Separate Bill of Sale, separate ownership transfer signed by the prior owner.

If the trailer is exactly (to the month of manufacture shown on the VIN plate) 15 years old or older it is exempt from the $209 import/inspection charge. The VIN sticker on the trailer must be present and actually readable as the border inspector will look for it.

One reason you need proper paperwork is that you cannot get new hull numbers (that get stuck on both sides of the bow) from Transport Canada unless you can prove you imported it properly and paid HST at the border.
    Thanx for the reply its very much appreciative but I should have made my self clear I'm not importing it from the US I'm buying it in Ontario but he lost the paperwork for it and also he never put it in his name when he bought it... So now I want to buy it from him but how would I get the lisence into my name now

+1

Arrow What documents define 'ownership' in Canada of an imported watercraft?

Quote Originally Posted by paulyp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Thanx for the reply its very much appreciative but I should have made my self clear I'm not importing it from the US I'm buying it in Ontario but he lost the paperwork for it and also he never put it in his name when he bought it... So now I want to buy it from him but how would I get the lisence into my name now
    So in what way does he 'own' the machine, other than physical possession?

"Never put it in his name' is nebulous.

Was it officially imported into Canada, with Border Services providing a Casual Goods Accounting Document (typically printed with Blue ink)?
    This is the 'receipt' that you get when you have paid the HST tax at the border coming into Canada.

My understanding is that these are the core documents that define 'ownership' of an imported watercraft in Canada;
    Bill of sale with both seller and buyer name, full addresses for both, and telephone numbers. Shows date of sale, price paid, HIN number, description of watercraft (Make, Model, Year, top and bottom colours). Best if this is notarized and signed by both buyer and seller.

Make very sure the HIN number is exactly correct and it must exactly match the numbers on the other documents and on the actual hull. HIN has both letters and numbers and typos are common.

Title transfer
    document, dated and signed by the seller. Exactly what this document is depends on which US state the watercraft was last registered in.
    Of course it is expected that the owner shown on the title and the seller are the same person.

Casual Goods Accounting Document from Canada Border Services, showing the HIN number and the GST + PST paid at date of import.
    Looks like this, although the details vary.

All these documents together define legal 'ownership'.

The new owner in Canada then applies to Transport Canada for a Pleasure Craft License. Transport Canada reviews the documents provided (as listed above) and then assigns a hull Licence Number. You then purchase and stick those numbers to the outside of the bow.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Form..._1308-08_E.pdf

Officially, if you get stopped on the water in Canada, your proof of ownership is the Bill of Sale (or photocopy - I keep a waterproof laminated photocopy with the fire extinguisher).

In reality, the hull licence numbers are what the police want to see. No hull numbers can make for a long chat and possibly worse.
    Last edited by K447; 03-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.

+1
    Never purchase a Seadoo in Canada or the US unless the person you are buying it from has the correct paperwork/ownership/title in their name. I have run across too many jokers over the past 20 years that are trying to sell a machine that they don't legally own. I won't even go look at a machine unless I have confirmed and double confirmed over the phone(not email) that they have the ownership in their hand. Unless they are legally ready to negotiate you are wasting your time dealing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    Never purchase a Seadoo in Canada or the US unless the person you are buying it from has the correct paperwork/ownership/title in their name. I have run across too many jokers over the past 20 years that are trying to sell a machine that they don't legally own. I won't even go look at a machine unless I have confirmed and double confirmed over the phone(not email) that they have the ownership in their hand. Unless they are legally ready to negotiate you are wasting your time dealing with them.
    +1

everything you said ^^^ make sense...

To the OP... Dont risk it... They are plenty PWC out there ready to meet new owners... I know it because i probably sell mine to move back into 2 wheels once again...

+1
    I bought my rxp in Michigan. When you bring it across the border you have to pay the tax right there and provide a Bill of sale. If he has no paper work id run. If he can't prove he owns it then he doesn't. Imo if if your looking to save money go to the states and by one. Lots of good deals. I paid $8100 + tax for my rxp brand new still in the crate. buy a trailer here and go for a drive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    ... buy a trailer here and go for a drive.
    Depends on the age and type of trailer.

For newish trailers, there just isn't much saving after you pay the US exchange plus the $209 RIV trailer import fee, plus HST. I bought my new Triton double in Ontario.

For a trailer 15 years or older, there is no import fee (it is exempt) and old trailers tend to be inexpensive in the US. Of course, it has to be good enough to make it back home without the wheels falling off!

Last year I bought a broken watercraft on a 16 year old trailer in NY state. Paperwork was in order so no hassles at the border. Trailer needed $100 in new tires and other parts, worth a lot more in Ontario despite its age.

+1
    Ya its always iffy towing back old trailers. For the cost of a new single place trailers might as well just buy a new one. We bought a boat in orilla, ont and after a 5hr drive home the one wheel bearing locked up backing it in the drive way. Wouldnt be fun having to change a wheel bearing on the side of the highway.

+1
    You can import a PWC from the US with nothing more than a receipt, as Canada does not title watercraft or boats. I have done this many times. The trailer is a different story, and you will need to have the registration documents at time of import to make things easier.

You do not need a separate receipt for the trailer as long as the value of the trailer is listed. Even if its not listed they will take you word for the values and deduct that from the cost of the Boat/PWC for tax values.

Over 15 years old, no trailer RIV fee. Newer than 15 years, you may as well buy in Canada, by the time you add the RIV fee and your time/gas to go buy the trailer there is often no savings...
    Last edited by K447; 04-20-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information