Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Blacktip seat covers and foot mats

I have a 1997 seadoo xp. Have a question about the blacktip seat cover I recently purchased. I was told it was meant to go right over the seat foam with the stock vinyl removed. But the first line on the instructions say to install over existing vinyl....is this just for ease of install? I would prefer to remove old cover. Anyone have experience with this? Also finding stainless or Monel staples locally has turned into being a pain. I have an electric staple gun. Thinking about just having a shop install it now. But still need to know for sure if the old hard stock cover has to stay put. Btw the seat on these boats are not fun to remove...

+1
    I have always installed them over the stock seat cover, it tends to look smoother this way. If the old seat cover has tears or holes i duct tape them very tightly before i apply the new cover so that the profile of the tear won't show through the new cover. Stainless staples are a must... Order them off of the internet if you have to.

Banned User
    +1
    Home Depot should have the stainless staples. I prefer to remove the stock cover. It makes for a softer seat. If you do remove the original seat cover you need to cover the foam with plastic of some sort. The stitched cover will let water through and without the plastic the foam will get soaked and make the seat weigh a ton. If the original seat cover is soft and pliable then its good to go over it. If the original cover is stiff then I pull them off.

+1
    Some of the doos you can't remove the stock seat covers, like mine. You just wrap over it after removing the factory staples.

Your seat is glued to the foam. Just put the cover over the original

+1
    Thank you for the info. I decided to just have a professional install the cover so I dropped off the seat today. The shop said the rock hard stock vinyl had to go and could handle it even if it's glued down....�� I'll see in a couple days. Next up for the weekend is replacing the grey fuel lines with the clear blue lines that came in today. Going to wait until I get the lines done and seat back before starting the blacktip foot mats. I think I've seen epoxy is what most do to fill the rivet holes for stock mats. Also going to try and fix the fuel gauge while I have access to the fuel baffle. Hope it's just the magnet.

+1
    I have both Black Tip & Hydro Turf seat covers on my two Yammis. I think the quality of both is outstanding. Both were covered over pre seat cover. I can tell you that the Black Tip cover was a lot cheaper in cost but not in quality.

+1
    Checked with the shop and seat is still not done. The guy said he should have left the stock cover on...I told him what most people say on these forums but he insisted. Just hoping it turns out well.

Fixed my fuel guage by following one of the stickys here. Ffing awesome! Removed th F1 fuse and soldered the connection. Still wondering if there is any danger repairing the fuel baffle this way. Anyone have experience with this sort of repair?

+1
    I've done several of those fuel baffle repairs. I have never had a problem afterwards... I was a little nervous the first time too, about the time i was cutting it open i figured i was going to end up buying a new one, but then i plasti welded it shut and never looked back... One on my beater skis I had ended up sold to a buddy, the baffle repair is 5-6 years old now and no problems yet.

+1
    I got mine fired up this last weekend. I went with the clear blue fuel lines from parts unlimited. I've notice I have a bunch of air in the lines that I would have never been able to see before. Do you think this is normal or is it due to my poor job sealing back up the fuel baffle sending unit? It's bogging down pretty good when hitting full throttle. Could also be that it's the first start for a for about five months...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information