Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 stroke oil question yamalube pre mix

I've been seeing the "make sure it has tcw-3"additive in the oil comments. I was told by a guy that runs dirt bikes and other two stroke things and swears by yamalube to be the best for my skies.just bought 4 quarts pricy stuff no tcw-3 logo. Guy at the shop says water craft people use this and its good also. What's up guys will it work? Anyone tried this?

By the way its the premix type oil, not the injector type oil for the injector systems.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is your watercraft configured for pre-mix oil in the gasoline or is the factory oiling system still in place?

TCW3 is not an additive. It is an oil grading specification. When Polaris started making watercraft in the early 1990s TCW3 was one of the few semi-relevant 2-stroke oil specs in existence. At the time most marine 2-stroke engines were outboard engines, which are not quite the same as PWC engines in terms of oil performance.

Which Yamalube oil did you buy? There are several, as I recall.

Modern 2-stroke oils are typically tested against newer oil test specifications.
    Last edited by K447; 03-14-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Yamalube high-performance 2 stroke 2R. My skies are setup for premix. The oil injector systems have been removed

+1
    The 2R is a very high quality, clean burning oil. Lots of dirtbike/quad guys run it. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

BTW....I've been running the el-cheapo Wal-Mart brand stuff in all my machines for about 8 years with never an oil related failure.

Sweet thanks for the info.

Got another question about mixing oil. I've been using this yamalube and I'm mixing it at 40:1 but I'm noticing the plugs are getting dark. Its been suggested to me not to go 50:1. the previous owner ran 40:1 and the plugs looked really nice when i bought it. He was also using wal mart 2 stroke oil. Could this higher quality oil be causing the engine to run rich. I'm thinking of 2 possibilities to correct this. 1: the obvious 42:1 or 44:1 work my way to a nice biscus color, or 2: should i run walmart brand oil and see if it leans it out and use yamalube occasionally to put a nice lubrication in the motor. Would option 2 be a good idea or bad idea?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Un-cowJ View Post
    Got another question about mixing oil. I've been using this yamalube and I'm mixing it at 40:1 but I'm noticing the plugs are getting dark. Its been suggested to me not to go 50:1. the previous owner ran 40:1 and the plugs looked really nice when i bought it. He was also using wal mart 2 stroke oil. Could this higher quality oil be causing the engine to run rich.

I'm thinking of 2 possibilities to correct this. 1: the obvious 42:1 or 44:1 work my way to a nice biscus color, or 2: should i run walmart brand oil and see if it leans it out and use yamalube occasionally to put a nice lubrication in the motor. Would option 2 be a good idea or bad idea?
    If I may comment, using the term 'rich' to describe the amount of oil going through the engine can become confusing. Rich and lean are terms often used to describe the ratio of air to gasoline.

Rich when referring to oil has little to do with combustion air ratios.

Different oils will burn with different residue byproducts. These residues accumulate on the spark plug tip area, the piston dome and perhaps in the exhaust ports.

The primary purpose of the oil is to lubricate the engine crankcase internals, of course. By the time the oil mist has arrived in the combustion chamber it's job is mostly done. Only the oil that actually touches and accumulates on the bearings and cylinder walls does any actual lubrication.

The turbulent airflow inside the crankcase grabs some of the oil mist and carries it upwards along with the gasoline+air charge into the combustion chamber.

Reducing the the gasoline to oil ratio (and therefore the amount of oil going through the crankcase) in an effort to reduce residue accumulation on the spark plug seems odd to me. Do you feel the residue on the spark plug is an indication of excessive lubrication inside the engine?

Oops sorry man my terminology was screwed up. Yes that what I was thinking. Although I do see reducing the amount of oil in an engine that has no oil pan or recirculating oil sounds risky to me. I was under the impression that if the spark plugs start to look dark or black that the amount of oil to gas ratio was to high on the oil side of things. Am I looking at this wrong is it my air and fuel mixer that is causing the black color on the spark plug or is it the oil? What's got me wondering is that the previous owner use cheap Walmart oil and the plugs were nice and tan colored, and I haven't touched anything on the motor except the idle speed bumped up to 1300. With the tee handle.

Not so much excessive lubrication but maybe to thick of oil therefore needs to be thinned with a higher ratio of gas and oil. I've killed a couple of go peds not getting this right. A what's your thoughts

+1
    Are you seeing excessive smoke? Is the engine fouling plugs quickly? Have you noticed any changes in performance?

I've been wondering the same with my 900. It runs awsome but, my plugs run black like you describe. I use oil from walmart. It's quicksilver PWC 2 stroke syn. blend mixed 40:1. I fouled out 1 set of plugs after 30 hours last season which i would consider ok. I always fill my mixing cup above the line as I'd rather have more than adequate rather than not enough. Haven't had any issues.

Always carry a spare set of plugs and a plug wrench.

+1
    I have ran 2R in my modified GP1200 for 12 years and almost 400 hours. Compression is still good and the cylinders look great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information