stx 12f bendix replacement

According to my service manual they recommend removing the engine. Ithink this is where shops make huge profit charging you for something that is not necessary. As an example the shop manual recommends pulling the engine to replace the starter. In another post I explained how I did it without pulling the engine. Back to my question. I am going to replace the bendix Can I remove the engine bolts to the motor mounts and slide the engine forward to separate the coupling? Can I then jack up the rear of the engine and remove the stator cover to replace the bendix? Are special tools needed to pull the flywheel and a holder to re-tourque the flywheel bolt? . Any advice would be appreciated. TIA John

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yeah, the manuals always say pull the engine blah blah blah. The couple of times I had customers bitch about my price I tell em to call ANY dealer and ask them how much to change a starter. Still a bargain , even when I'm charging half of the flat rate to pull an engine. Then I show them what the list price is on an OEM starter motor ( insert gasp here)

as far as changing the bendix...

special tools certainly needed to get the flywheel off.

I have a 12f on the lot..I'll have a look to see how tight it is in the front..might have to pull the fuel tank..but that might require pulling the motor.

when I'm faced with this kind of chore I conside how cut up I'm going to get trying to do it in hull and how much time and I really going to save by taking the motor mounts off and jacking the motor around the hull.

getting all the bolts out of the stator cover with the engine in hull could be tricky.

I'll have a look tomorrow when I get down to the shop.

more importantly and not mentioned..what do you suppose caused the problem with the bendix?

you are right about getting cut up pete. used up a box of band-aids. There is a company in naples florida, near me, that sells a specific puller that they machine among others for $40.00 but then you need a holder tool to torque the flywheel when you reinstall. I wont know what did in the bendix until i get it out. could be starter gear related dont know. thanks john

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sbt likely has the right puller at a fair price..the factory puller has to be ridiuclosos expensive for a one time use tool.

these days I duct tape the fingers BEFORE I go into sharp places.

+1
    The Bendix on a 15f is on the rear. Remove the jet pump and slide the drive shaft as far rearward as possible. It's here where you realize that the long threaded coupler that is threaded on the crankshaft wont come out far enough to come out of the stator cover. At this point you can possibly loosen or remove the motor mounts and raise the rear of the engine and possibly move it forward enough to remove the coupler and remove the rear stator cover . Lots of luck getting the rear engine coupler broke loose, they are usually pretty tight. If you get this far you will need an automotive puller, the 15f flywheel has three threaded holes in it for the puller....... Lot's of luck and if it was me I'd pull the motor..........

6. +1 by:

Thread Information