Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uppercoast texas roll call

Who all runs to rigs out of Galveston, surfide etc. Im from houston

Myself in a few of my buddies run out to the regatta Freeport on our SUVs. What do you fish off of?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Im in clear lake, I dont have a fishing setup but ill come out with some advance notice.

Sean

Hey I'd like to go out with yall sometime if it's cool. O just moved from katy to brenham. About a 2 hour drive to the coast. I just bought my ski with the sole purpose of fishing in mind. Currently im in the process of rigging it out and any advice or tips would be awsome! I have a 2003 seadoo gtx with 4tec. So far I have a raised cooler rack that mounts via turn buckles with room for extra fuel tank below. I'm mounting ammo cans on either side to serve as tackle boxes. They hold 4 plastic dividers and are water tight. Also kicking around the idea of mounting a 4 wheeler winch spooled with coated cable inside a third ammo can and mounting it on the rear of rack to serve as an electronic anchor system and double as a down rigging unit.

If anyone has experience with mounting submergable LED lights to their ski send me a pm. I have a couple ideas using existing bolts to mount a bracket and replacing an existing through hull bolt with a bolt that has a wires running through the head and shaft. That would avoid having to drill through the hull.

I hope I didn't high jack this thread. Anyhow I'd be down to join up with a group!

+1
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a winch on a PWC is a new one - I gotta see this...

Best of luck TX anglers! Make it happen and post some pix.

I will be as soon as this weather gets it's act together. I just had a custom cooler/rod rack built and mounted on the rear and a bar that will accommodate my GPS/FF/Chart Plotter and 2 rod holders up front.

We should all meet up on the lower San Jac before heading out fishing and put some names with faces

Quote Originally Posted by MattL View Post
    Who all runs to rigs out of Galveston, Surfside etc....

I know right! But last Sunday I was out on lake fayette, brief bad weather gave my cooler rack test run 30 mph winds, 3.5" chop, and cold rain right at sunrise. I launched myself anyhow thinking that was the perfect test conditions. After a very wet ride I arrived to the fishing grounds and found out how much I had to multitasking to keep from hitting deadwood, balance, retrieve the pos anchore that just dragged bottom, secure it all with the ski running and jogging from neutral and reverse to hold my position. I didn't like the scenario one bit. Obviously a larger anchor is needed. I also want to have lots of anchor rope since I won't always be in saltwater and some of the lakes around here are deep in fishing areas. With that being said I needed to devise a way to carry lots of line capacity on a storage raped vessel! Also with all that must tasking that I didn't like automatic deployment and retrieval would be a huge bonus! I decided on either thinly coated cable, 400 lbs mono or a envious coworker suggested mule tape. Anyhow once spooled the winch can be mounted in a ammo can and a slit cut in it for the line to feed through with the fairlead mounted on the outside. Will probably use the aluminum ones made for synthetic winch line. I'd attach a bristled system over the opening to discourage splashed water to enter the can and aid in removing water from the anchor line. Then on the bottom of the can I'd install a couple one way check valves to drain any water. The box would only serve as a housing for winch and not the actual mounting securment. The can mounted to plate would work well.with the design figured it would store the anchor line nicely. Allow auto deployment and retrieval. A coated mushroom anchor could free hang as long as it wasn't hitting anything. On another note a down rigging ball could be attached and cold be used to troll with and keep bait at desired depths. But the number one reasoning is because I'm a little redneck sometimes and think a winch should go on everything! Lol this weekend I'm going to bps to look at minkota deckmate electronic anchor system and see if it can be adapted for pwc use. This may be a more viable plan since it will allow tor free fall without creating a bird nesting nightmare like a winch with thin cable would. Thoughts????Positive, negative, reasons to scrap idea?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Clean SUV View Post
    I will be as soon as this weather gets it's act together. I just had a custom cooler/rod rack built and mounted on the rear and a bar that will accommodate my GPS/FF/Chart Plotter and 2 rod holders up front.

We should all meet up on the lower San Jac before heading out fishing and put some names with faces

Quote Originally Posted by MattL View Post
    Who all runs to rigs out of Galveston, Surfside etc....
    How far out do yall typically go? Is an auxiliary fuel tank nessasary?

As a rule of thumb when I am offshore in our boat we double the length of anchor rope as to the depth of water we are fishing. This also applies to fresh water.

Quote Originally Posted by ryntipton View Post
    Obviously a larger anchor is needed. I also want to have lots of anchor rope since I won't always be in saltwater and some of the lakes around here are deep in fishing areas. With that being said I needed to devise a way to carry lots of line capacity on a storage raped vessel!

I've started to think that it may not be wise to attach a cable to something mounted on the pwc and put it on the waters bottom. If the anchor hung up I'd be stuck having to unscrew the cable from the spool and that would leave myself anchor less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information