Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 Polaris Virage I 800 Direct Injection Fuel Pump Question

Yesterday I started my jetski and it ran for a few minutes then shut down and would not restart. I pulled a plug and held it next to the head and confirmed that it sparks.
    Next I check the fuel pressure which was 0.
    I assume since it gets spark it eliminates the camshaft position sensor.

How to I actually jump start the fuel pump? There a 4 pin connector that goes into the top of the top of the fuel pump, but I'm unsure how to break into this and deliver 12V.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks,

Banned User
    +1
    The brown wire in the pump harness needs to be grounded to run the fuel pump. It is most likely that the regulator has fallen off in the tank and thats why you have zero fuel pressure.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Bryan is correct, the Brown wire is grounded by the EMM to activate the fuel pump. There is a fuse or circuit breaker that delivers constant 12 volt power to the fuel pump.

If you press down the tip on the Schrader valve tee (located in the fuel return line) does fuel run out when you crank the engine? If fuel comes out then the fuel pump is running but there is no pressure regulation.

See my signature links for how to repair the pressure regulator inside the fuel pump body.

Thanks for your responses. There's 0 pressure on that fuel line. I removed the Schrader and cranked over the engine and no fuel came out.
    What's your recommendation on how to ground that wire? Would you cut it and then add an additional wire so it could be ground, then wire back in? I'm worried if I do this is may have an increase in resistance that the ECM will make a fault for later. Or make up a new plug with a power and ground wire?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by perthaustralia View Post
    Thanks for your responses. There's 0 pressure on that fuel line. I removed the Schrader and cranked over the engine and no fuel came out.
    What's your recommendation on how to ground that wire? Would you cut it and then add an additional wire so it could be ground, then wire back in? I'm worried if I do this is may have an increase in resistance that the ECM will make a fault for later. Or make up a new plug with a power and ground wire?
    Start by checking for battery power to the fuel pump. If the fuse or circuit breaker has tripped, you will have no power and no fuel flow.

For testing the fuel pump I sometime slide a thin sewing pin alongside the brown wire into the fuel pump connector. You will know you have made contact if your voltmeter shows 12 volts on the pin. Then ground the pin to run the fuel pump motor.

I get 0 volts on all wires except for the red/white one. I am getting approximately 0.2 Volts on this wire. I also tried measuring the voltage while cranking
    So, I'm assuming the relay has failed. I traced this back through the harness and get lost as to where it goes. Any idea where the relay can be found and what it looks like?

Thanks,

I get 0 volts on all wires except for the red/white one. I am getting approximately 0.2 Volts on this wire. I also tried measuring the voltage while cranking
    So, I'm assuming the relay has failed. I traced this back through the harness and get lost as to where it goes. Any idea where the relay can be found and what it looks like?

Thanks,

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by perthaustralia View Post

Thanks,
    Its inside the EMM.

Found it! It's the black one on the battery box. Is this a generic relay? Anything I can get that is common with it? It has a special mounting pad.

Banned User
    +1
    Those are circuit breakers on the battery cover. The power to the fuel pump is switched on and off inside the EMM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information