Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17

    Need to change starter.

    A buddy helped me diagnose the problem. A bad starter on my 09 GTI SE 155. How difficult is this to change out myself? I know what end of a wrench to hold and have pulled superchargers, impellers, etc. Does changing the starter require pulling the engine?

    double check: if I jump the posts on the solenoid, the starter should turn over like normal, correct?

    Ryan


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    215
    +1
    18
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out

  3. #3
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    If its just clicking when you hit the start button its the solenoid. If you jump across the solenoid and starter spins then the starter is good.
    Must be done with a good battery...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth (Aus)
    Posts
    51
    Is it a common thing for the starters to go? I have a 2010 RXT-X 260 that is just turning over slowly, I have replaced the battery the solenoid only drops 0.02volts while starting.

    Turns over faster with the spark plugs out, I thought the pump may have had a bad bearing but i have pulled that off and still just turns over slowly then stops.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    If its just clicking when you hit the start button its the solenoid. If you jump across the solenoid and starter spins then the starter is good.
    Must be done with a good battery...
    Battery good, over 13 volts. No difference if you depress the start button or jump across the solenoid.

    Ryan

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out
    Sound encouraging. However I can hardly see the starter. I can feel it, but not really see it. I doubt I can get it out and reinstall on feel alone. Any pointers you can give me to help me get it out?

    Or, anyone with a service bulletin to for changing a starter on this model (or equal)?

    Ryan

  7. #7
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    Get a service manual and look at the book while doing it by touch.
    You can't see it and its all done by feeling it...

    It took me a lot longer than 5 min but it was my 1st solo starter change..

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    215
    +1
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out
    Sound encouraging. However I can hardly see the starter. I can feel it, but not really see it. I doubt I can get it out and reinstall on feel alone. Any pointers you can give me to help me get it out?

    Or, anyone with a service bulletin to for changing a starter on this model (or equal)?

    Ryan
    Trust me its not hard.......there's only 2 small screws holding it in.....look at a picture of the starter online.....theres 2 screw holes towards the front of the engine on the starter, not hard to reach.....The screw heads should be the same size as the ones holding your intake manifold in.....just losen them and slide the starter out towards the front of the ski.......after you disconnect the thick starter Cable from the Solenoid of course.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out
    Sound encouraging. However I can hardly see the starter. I can feel it, but not really see it. I doubt I can get it out and reinstall on feel alone. Any pointers you can give me to help me get it out?

    Or, anyone with a service bulletin to for changing a starter on this model (or equal)?

    Ryan
    Trust me its not hard.......there's only 2 small screws holding it in.....look at a picture of the starter online.....theres 2 screw holes towards the front of the engine on the starter, not hard to reach.....The screw heads should be the same size as the ones holding your intake manifold in.....just losen them and slide the starter out towards the front of the ski.......after you disconnect the thick starter Cable from the Solenoid of course.
    i got got the two screws out but it won't budge. I can wiggle it and it feels loose but I can't pull it forward any. Any ideas?

    Ryan

  10. #10
    www.eastcoastpwc.net Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,991
    +1
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out
    Sound encouraging. However I can hardly see the starter. I can feel it, but not really see it. I doubt I can get it out and reinstall on feel alone. Any pointers you can give me to help me get it out?

    Or, anyone with a service bulletin to for changing a starter on this model (or equal)?

    Ryan
    Trust me its not hard.......there's only 2 small screws holding it in.....look at a picture of the starter online.....theres 2 screw holes towards the front of the engine on the starter, not hard to reach.....The screw heads should be the same size as the ones holding your intake manifold in.....just losen them and slide the starter out towards the front of the ski.......after you disconnect the thick starter Cable from the Solenoid of course.
    i got got the two screws out but it won't budge. I can wiggle it and it feels loose but I can't pull it forward any. Any ideas?

    Ryan
    The O rings are probably holding it in place. Use a small screw driver and slowly pry the starter away from the case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Do i need to change wear ring?
    By RiverRat19405 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
  2. When do i need to change the an old Intercooler
    By LAB69 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
  3. Need to change out Wear Ring TODAY
    By sr71bb in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 06:18 AM
  4. need to change my e-mail address here
    By texas swede in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 09:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •