Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Need to change starter.

A buddy helped me diagnose the problem. A bad starter on my 09 GTI SE 155. How difficult is this to change out myself? I know what end of a wrench to hold and have pulled superchargers, impellers, etc. Does changing the starter require pulling the engine?

double check: if I jump the posts on the solenoid, the starter should turn over like normal, correct?

Ryan

+1
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out

+1
    If its just clicking when you hit the start button its the solenoid. If you jump across the solenoid and starter spins then the starter is good.
    Must be done with a good battery...

Is it a common thing for the starters to go? I have a 2010 RXT-X 260 that is just turning over slowly, I have replaced the battery the solenoid only drops 0.02volts while starting.

Turns over faster with the spark plugs out, I thought the pump may have had a bad bearing but i have pulled that off and still just turns over slowly then stops.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    If its just clicking when you hit the start button its the solenoid. If you jump across the solenoid and starter spins then the starter is good.
    Must be done with a good battery...
    Battery good, over 13 volts. No difference if you depress the start button or jump across the solenoid.

Ryan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    No its not hard.....you can have it out in about 5 minutes...might have to wiggle it as you pull it out
    Sound encouraging. However I can hardly see the starter. I can feel it, but not really see it. I doubt I can get it out and reinstall on feel alone. Any pointers you can give me to help me get it out?

Or, anyone with a service bulletin to for changing a starter on this model (or equal)?

Ryan

+1
    Get a service manual and look at the book while doing it by touch.
    You can't see it and its all done by feeling it...

It took me a lot longer than 5 min but it was my 1st solo starter change..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    Sound encouraging. However I can hardly see the starter. I can feel it, but not really see it. I doubt I can get it out and reinstall on feel alone. Any pointers you can give me to help me get it out?

Or, anyone with a service bulletin to for changing a starter on this model (or equal)?

Ryan
    Trust me its not hard.......there's only 2 small screws holding it in.....look at a picture of the starter online.....theres 2 screw holes towards the front of the engine on the starter, not hard to reach.....The screw heads should be the same size as the ones holding your intake manifold in.....just losen them and slide the starter out towards the front of the ski.......after you disconnect the thick starter Cable from the Solenoid of course.

+1

Ryan
    Trust me its not hard.......there's only 2 small screws holding it in.....look at a picture of the starter online.....theres 2 screw holes towards the front of the engine on the starter, not hard to reach.....The screw heads should be the same size as the ones holding your intake manifold in.....just losen them and slide the starter out towards the front of the ski.......after you disconnect the thick starter Cable from the Solenoid of course.
    i got got the two screws out but it won't budge. I can wiggle it and it feels loose but I can't pull it forward any. Any ideas?

Ryan

+1

Ryan
    i got got the two screws out but it won't budge. I can wiggle it and it feels loose but I can't pull it forward any. Any ideas?

Ryan
    The O rings are probably holding it in place. Use a small screw driver and slowly pry the starter away from the case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information