Split water ways

I think PR pulled this off with some iodized fittings...

I put a Y splitter on the stock inlet and had one go to the exhaust manifold and the other goes to my strainer and then to the front of the IC. The back of the IC dumps out the other hole in the back that you have to drill out.

Question

Seems water is taking the path of least resistance. Seems more water is going to the manifold and not the IC.

I'm thinking I need to put a 50lb pressure regulator on the path to the manifold.

I figured pressure would always stay the same with the washer so both paths on the Y splitter would have 50lbs of pressure on both routes. Is this incorrect ?

Last resort is the messing with the washer and using regulators....
    Last edited by Kinchyle; 03-23-2007 at 07:21 PM.

+1
    why do you want to do this?

also when you get it togther there is a group of guys that ride on Wednesday at Old Hickory

I would think that both tributaries are either going to loose flow or pressure when split that way. I agree if it takes more pressure to push water thru the IC core then you would have more flow to the manifold, path of least resistance...Glad to see you back Kinch!...

for the time period that I had the seperate system, it worked great, kept the IC very cool, you can feel the IC body was cold to the touch!...
    I know we spoke of this not being a gain or anything before, it`s just basically and independant line. I`m not exactly sure if the pre-heated water coming out of the IC going into the manifold in the stock hose routing really had any effect on performance or heat fade. Some here say that it is minimal. I would think that those running in warmer/hot climates would benefit the most from the seperate system!...PR...

I just read an article that says the pressure will stay the same on both splits but flow will be determined by the resitance.

I think I'm good....

I'm doing this because I want a clean line of water going to the IC and I want maximum flow to the IC.
    I have about 6 inches after the Y split hitting the IC with a free flow
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

then a free flow on the back with about 16 inches befor it goes straight out the back with no routes in between.

I think the washer will provide the standard 50 so pounds of pressure (from the previous testing) to each Y. So I'm going to give her a cruise and see if I don't get the high temp and still getting the 70~ speeds.

I'll try to add pics after everything is together.

You have strainers on those lines kinch?

cool! keep us posted!

I did notice tho that the factory bilge pump outlet in the pump support, the ID is only 1/2, this may also play a part in pressure. I prolly could have reduced the overall pressure just by using a larger or matching outlet ID...have fun!...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    cool! keep us posted!

I did notice tho that the factory bilge pump outlet in the pump support, the ID is only 1/2, this may also play a part in pressure. I prolly could have reduced the overall pressure just by using a larger or matching outlet ID...have fun!...PR...
    I thought the ID on 3/4 connectors was 1/2.

The connectors on the IC's are 1/2.

I think my testing on the hose is going to be alot different on the water. The hose can't sustain the 50lbs pressure on both sides of the Y. Flow should be alot different with the pump pushing the water.

I have a gpm reader and 2 pressure guages just don't have room to connect them I have everything so short and tight...

Steve I put a graco strainer after the Y splitter going to the IC inlet. I did some flow testing on the graco strainer and there isn't much different with it on it (with it clean). With the y splitting if my strainer somehow gets blocked flow will still go to the manifold and not overheat. I'll know the strainer is blocked if I start loosing some rpm's because the ic should be less efficient.

seems like a win to me and flow seems cleaner to the ic because it goes right from the IC out the hull so no back pressure
    Last edited by Kinchyle; 03-24-2007 at 11:40 AM.

cool.
    I think anyone NOT running a strainer is asking for trouble. I rode yesterday for 35 minutes and had a decent amount of crap in mine.

Thread Information