Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What timing chain to buy?

Hey guys, I'm doing preventative maintenance on a new-to-me 03 GTX S/C (185hp). I plan to replace flywheel bolts, valves with new supertech ones, rebuild the S/C, and replace the timing chain. I have read many stories of chains going out on people, especially the new ones. I'm scared of ordering a crappier chain that is already on there. I haven't heard too much bad stuff about 03's and maybe I shouldn't even replace it, but after living with those damn 787's, I'm ready for reliability and peace of mind. Can someone please tell me where to buy a good chain and how long I can expect it to last? How can I tell if it's worthy?

Also, any other Preventative Maint. suggestions?

+1
    This is the one i recommend:

Iwis Motorsysteme Timing Chain for Seadoo 4TEC

+1
    just order it from the online store and you will get the correct IWIS chain. also, you will have to split the case and possibly remove the crankshaft (unless you remove the oil jets and lift the crank/rod assembly up far enough to remove the chain). if it were mine, I would just remove the crank and put in new bearings, rod bolts and thrust washers while in there.

+1
    Not to disregard your advice, but it only has 200 hours on it... I was going to hold off on the bearings I'm hoping not to crack the case open this go-round. I haven't read any horror stories of failed bearings or thrust washers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IDoSeaDoo View Post
    Not to disregard your advice, but it only has 200 hours on it... I was going to hold off on the bearings I'm hoping not to crack the case open this go-round. I haven't read any horror stories of failed bearings or thrust washers.
    You cant change the timing chain without spliting the cases.
    I have heard of dealers splitting the chain but thats sounds like a bad idea to me.

6. +1 by:

The timing chain can be replaced without spliting the cases but you need the hardware\tools and the specifications sheet,if you don't have practice i advise you to don't do this procedure,this operation need precision so you need to split the cases

+1
    The new OEM timing chain if im NOT MISTAKING comes with a removable link,so yes you can install a new OEM chain without splitting the cases,NOT unless they changed this and i was unaware of this..BUT me personally would not put this chain in my ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    The new OEM timing chain if im NOT MISTAKING comes with a removable link,so yes you can install a new OEM chain without splitting the cases,NOT unless they changed this and i was unaware of this..BUT me personally would not put this chain in my ski
    I just installed a new OEM chain which has JWIS stamped on each link. Don't know if it had a removable link.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IDoSeaDoo View Post
    I had a 03 GTX SC with 80hrs on it with failed bearings

+1
    Doing the valves and FW bolts is a good idea but if your not getting right in there and replacing bearings I'd leave the chain.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information