Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

04 SeaDoo GTX 4-Tec Supercharged

I am looking to buy a 04 seadoo GTX 4-Tec supercharged. The owner says it has approx 260 hours on it and has never rebuilt the supercharger? oil and plugs at the begining of every season and the hull is in great shape.

The guy wants $2800 for it with the trailer. Is this a good or horrible buy?

+1
    all depends your location, I paid $2600 for mine and it had 98 hours a year back but the paint was dull as hell.. I got a $4K offer for mine last week so I am thinking about it but might not do it, Ill just hold on till I can get the 14 model...
    dont put taht machine in the water without getting that SC rebuilt is a time-bomb with that time it has.

+1
    X2^^^^ Also their known for having valve failures, look it up, read the most you can on it

+1
    2800$ is a good price. Have the supercharger rebuilt right away. I had 240hrs on original valves I'm sure they're fine. The GTX 185 is a great machine and you won't regret buying it. If you're planning on doing mods go for the 215 though.

I am not looking to modify the ski, id just like to go out and have some fun on the weekends with me and another passenger.
    Would this last long if i rebuilt the supercharger, anything specific to look for when im looking at the ski? He is going to let me start it up and run it

I am a newbie when it comes to skis, but i am a mechanic by trade. I am sure I can handle maintenance but if valves fail i know what damage this can cause.

+1
    dude don't worry about valves failure that's for heavily modified skis, I had no issues with mine and I have done some mods put over 60 hours in less then a year, go to the how to section and look for the bullet proof post other than that go ride the living crap out of it but the that sc done.

Thank you, Im going to look at it soon.

I think they are talking about exhaust valve failures from poor quality or poor maintenance (many views on why they fail). The exhaust valves live in a moist environment so they are always starting on the wrong side of good!

I had a 2004 GTX Limited 185 and it was awesome, felt bulletproof. I didn't mod it other than a new Solas. The key is maintenance, maintenance and oh maintenace.

Power wise I was always nervous about "only" 185, but even two up it's still as impressive as many road motorbikes.

Make sure you search through GreenHulk, it is full of great tips and preventative measures. Even things you may have done a thousand times on bikes or cars, is quite different on a ski (oil level on stick for starters!).

I am too a novice compared with some of the guys on here, but listen to the right people (you'll soon work out who they are) and they'll keep you and your ski in good shape.

Don't forget also that we get 10% disc on parts throught the parts shop at the top of the forum page.

Enjoy your new toy (assuming you buy it), it's a great start and loads of smiles.

I talked him down to 2700, but theres a 3" by 3" chip in the hull. I didnt pick it up yet. Has this happen to anybody else?

The engine runs great.

+1
    Just get a gel cost kit and patch it up. Should be no issue. Had it happen to one of my old skis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information