Thread: DIY oil change

DIY oil change

I've always done my own oil changes on my Honda. I usually let it run on the hose to warm the oil for at least 10 min plus it's necessary to fill the dry sump oil tank. No issues in 500+ hours doing this.

From what I understand I can't do this with my Sea-Doo because it will damage the Carbon Seal. Do most of y'all just suck out the oil cold?

+1
    It's a pain sucking out cold oil. I do it after I get back from riding.

Yeah I figured that's probably what I will need to do. What's the average life expectancy on a Carbon seal?

+1
    Depends a lot on how well your engine and drive line are lined up. I've got a little over 200+ hrs on mine and no leaks..

85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462
    As mentioned make sure oil is warmed up, I had problems with the suction line softening and collapsing. After bring the hoses to a hose supply the counter help told me he would use air brakes lines which are teflon lined which worked great even after placing an A/C fitting on the tank and using my vacuum pump sure beats the hand pump.

As for the seal alignment forget eyeballing it, get a dial micrometer and holder from Harbor Freight (cheap made in China stuff) and eliminate any shaft miss-alignment, the dial movement makes 'seeing' a miss alignment easy and accurate. Don't forget to re-check it occasionally and re-torque engine fasteners. Ed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoog View Post
    As mentioned make sure oil is warmed up, I had problems with the suction line softening and collapsing. After bring the hoses to a hose supply the counter help told me he would use air brakes lines which are teflon lined which worked great even after placing an A/C fitting on the tank and using my vacuum pump sure beats the hand pump.

As for the seal alignment forget eyeballing it, get a dial micrometer and holder from Harbor Freight (cheap made in China stuff) and eliminate any shaft miss-alignment, the dial movement makes 'seeing' a miss alignment easy and accurate. Don't forget to re-check it occasionally and re-torque engine fasteners. Ed
    Which one do you recommend?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abmobil View Post
    I've always done my own oil changes on my Honda. I usually let it run on the hose to warm the oil for at least 10 min plus it's necessary to fill the dry sump oil tank. No issues in 500+ hours doing this.

From what I understand I can't do this with my Sea-Doo because it will damage the Carbon Seal. Do most of y'all just suck out the oil cold?
    Here's a link to a step-by-step guide for DIY oil change,you want to warm the ski up on the hose no longer than 5 minutes:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

We have run skis for as long as 30 minutes on the hose without issues, by simply spraying water up against the carbon seal and ride plate. Even if I run a ski on the hose for a few minutes, I do the same thing. You just need a hose Y valve to split the water supply.

Thread Information