+1

Flywheel bolts, in hull or pull engine ?

Looking to replace the flywheel bolts on my 05 GTX SC, can this be done in the hull or is it easier to pull the engine ? I have an alignment tool and hoist if the engine comes out.

I did them on the RXP when the engine was out for some other fixes so I know what needs to be done just wondering what access is like with the engine in the hull.

+1
    I believe you "can" do it while the engine is in the ski. That being said I'd definitely pull the motor and replace the bolts that way. So much easier then pulling the PTO cover and hoping not to drop the starter washers etc etc etc. This is just my opinion.

+1
    If you have a hoist and alignment tool it would be much easier to pull the motor. I have pulled the PTO on an RXP with engine in ski and it's not that much fun. Might seem like a shortcut but the additional work to pull the engine is much easier than working around the ski.
    if you have sheared the bolts and need to extract what's left in the crank gear it's difficult with the engine in the ski also.

+1
    Pull the engine out ...

+1
    The Amount of work you have to do just to get to the flywheel is about 95% of just pulling it out and having all the room in the world to work on it........you still have to partially lift the engine to get at the lower pto bolts...so if you are trying to avoid disconnecting your motor mounts......you won't

+1
    I'm in the process of doing just that, I pulled the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    The Amount of work you have to do just to get to the flywheel is about 95% of just pulling it out and having all the room in the world to work on it........you still have to partially lift the engine to get at the lower pto bolts...so if you are trying to avoid disconnecting your motor mounts......you won't
    Agree that it's much easier to pull the motor but some people may not have that option if they can't get some gear to hoist the engine out and don't have an alignment tool. You can get to all the PTO bolts (plenty of harder ones). Only the exhaust side engine mount bracket that bollts to the block needs to be removed to allow the PTO cover to slide off.

Just to clarify I'm not suggesting its better to do it in the ski, but some people may have reasons for doing it this way and it can be done.

+1
    I pulled the engine and did it on the bench. That would be a PITA messy job to try and do in the hull especially a GTX where the access is not as good as an RXP.

Cleaned up the hull, replaced the cheap hose clamps on the ride plate fittings and exhaust hoses, new bellows, c clip, o rings, bumper etc on the driveshaft and installed a bilge pump while I had good access. Should be good for the riding season now.

Thread Information