Thread: GTX RFI problem

GTX RFI problem

I have a '99 GTX RFI that runs great for 20 min. or so then will lose power as if it isn't getting fuel and will only idle or may quit. It will restart and run fine again after 30 min. or so. The charge voltage is 13.4-13.5. Could the magneto be getting hot and not supplying enough voltage like stators do at times? What do you think is causing the problem?

Thanks

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    try a different battery, just to be sure. otherwise, it's may be the rectifier, these RFI's apparently eat rectifiers for lunch.

don't have smoke in the hull do you?

+1
    Check all the small hoses on the top of the engine to make sure they are all connected. A friends ski had some running issues and we found one of these hoses not connected.

GTX RFI Problem

I've tried a new rectifier with no change in performance...don't have smoke in the hull. I'll go back over the connections to see if any hoses have cracks or have come loose.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pull the spark plugs before and when it stops and check their condition. They should not be fouled. If, when it dies, the spark plugs are dry then it is running out of fuel. If wet it is losing ignition. From this point you should know where to look.

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Hi,I have the same fault(3d rfi 2005).Ski runs for about 15-20 min,then power drops.After 20 min it works good for about 15 min.
    What do I check?I have to say that I change fuel pump,injectors,tps,ignition coil,air pressure and all the sensors on tb but nothing.When I plug the key on the post I dont have any fuel monitoring only the right check engine light.I have change the ecm and vcm also.
    Thanks in advance in any help!

Are one of the cooling lines partially plugged by either trash,pebbles,or sand?its possible that it is overheating,or possibly temp sensor is bad.I know it sounds like this is a stupid answer to your question,Through the years I have had 2 that run great then after 15 to 20 minutes run bad,wait 20 minutes they ran good again for 10 ,15 minutes.One had a piece of plastic in the fuel tank that caused the problem,the other had a plugged cooling line ,half full of sand.Hope this helps>Marvin

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Hi,I will check and clean the cooling system.I will post the results after test the ski.
    Thanks again for your help,have a nice day!!!

Thread Information