+1

Blow off Valve......Pros and cons on an 08 RXTX

I understand how they work and have installed a few on Cars but I've seen alot of people saying negative things about them on PWCs without much of an explanation why.......enlighten me?

I would thing it would take some stress off the SC washers when the throttle is snapped shut at high rpms.

+1
    Here you go,read this thread,it should give you all the pros and cons pertaining BOVs on our skis...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...sher+questions

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Here you go,read this thread,it should give you all the pros and cons pertaining BOVs on our skis...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...sher+questions

Thankyou......That answers the question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bov.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	325332This is a topic that I have been kicking around over and over and over... You speak with most on this forum and they say "NO BOV!, period!". Last season my riding buddy blew up his supercharger at the end of the year. After seeing the costly repairs needed, I do not want to go down that same path. So this winter my I had my SC rebuilt, and added an ET 137+4 wheel. Since this paired up with the Riva intake manifold mod will increase the boost approximately 6 psi over stock I did not want to add stress to the stock clutches - so I decided to add a BOV. I do not want to get into a huge debate, but most write ups regarding BOV's on this forum are old.. (2006 ect.) Anyone who is big into the turbo scene will tell you that the BOV technology has changed so much over the past few years. Back in the day everyone used OEM Mitsubishi BOV's, then turbo XS released models like the RFL, and HKS with has their super sequential (which is often knocked-off by Chinese companies on ebay) These BOV's are now dinosaurs. (I know people will say that HKS makes a good product, but personally I never liked them) Turbo XS's are also notorious for leaking. When you look back to the threads on this site people do not say the "BOV concept/idea" is bad, they say not to use them because they leak. I personally think that now this argument can be re-opened due to much better BOV's now available on the market. With my garage filled with extra car parts I decided to install the fairly new TIAL "Q" BOV on my ski (see above photo). Like many others I feel that the added boost may cause stress on the oem clutches, and cause the SC to fail earlier then the "100 hour" mark... In order for them not to leak BOV's need to operate with the proper spring pressure (many rate this at peak boost psi, when it is actually rated at vacume psi) I tried several springs so far to properly adjust the BOV to my ski, and it seems that the yellow TIAL spring works well without leaking. (NOTE: my ski has not seen water yet, due to the cold weather in New York at the present time my testing has been in my driveway, so water testing is required) Sure the BOV looks cool, and sounds great but if it causes problems I will remove it. So far I feel that I made the right decision regarding this install. I will test over and over again to make sure there are not leaks, and report my findings to the forum. Once again I am not trying to turn this into a huge debate over BOV's, its kind of like beating a dead horse, but I just wanted to share my views on this subject since it came up.
    Last edited by My09RXPX; 03-24-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: additional information

+1
    I understand,BUT after reading your post it still doesnt give me enough informationa as to why they ARE worth putting on...Leaking BOV was a very very tiny issue regarding the clutches...What we have debated and discussed was the excess heat and wear the BOV causes the clutches by letting the shaft/clutch assembly free wheel (up and over 40,000 RPMs)once the BOV opened,THEN once it closed basically slamming it down causeing friction,heat and excessive wear now because the clutch assembly has to catch the shaft/clutch up with the RPMs of the spinning fan to bring them all in sync RPM whise...IF your having good luck with yors then that is great..BUT it will take alot of proof to bring me and alot others that have worked and delt with this style clutch assembly to run a BOV...This is your ski and i do not condone anything you or anybody else does to thier ski as it is just that,yours/thiers...All we can do is present information from findings,post and see if others have oe not had the same issues and go from thier to make these a better,faster, more reliable ski...Good luck my friend as we all look forward to your findings..Thanks for the informative post!!!Peace....

7. +1 by:

+1
    years ago, when i had a supercharger, i ran it with a ssqv bov with a c kit.. for me personally, with the offshore riding, i noticed may charger slip was better with the bov. thats just what i found.

what you really want to worry about are the larger bearings at front and rear of the shaft.

my rxp has a supercharger, and its a stock 215. i change bearings amd viton seal around 50 hrs as the ski is hammered by my kids.

bearings are on their limit as it is. lifting engine rpm and heavier supercharger wheels means more load on these bearings.

i went turbo after my c kit front bearing went as i did not know about this.
    given some time, i will convert the p to a turbo as well.

+1
    After reading the above link from snoman I have to agree with the no BOV for our particular SC setup. For a Turbo setup on the other hand I think your a fool If you don't run a BOV.

I'd say:

Roots blower=Bypass/recirculation valve
    Gear driven small/highspeed supercharger like a Seadoo= no BOV
    Turbo setup= Yes BOV

+1
    I never ran a bov on my turbo cars. Overrated.

Thread Information