+1

Question 2 stroke, to mix or not to mix ??

Ski is a 1998 GP800. Would you cap off the oil injection pump and simply premix the oil with the fuel or rely on the oil pump working & not failing? I blocked off my pump on an outboard once and mixed the fuel with no issues.

If I were to do that with this ski what is the mix ratio?

thank you in advance.

I have a 97 GP 760 that was rigged for premix when I bought it. I left it that way for a short while then asked my local shop if it was worth the hassle. His experience with oil pumps has been that they rarely ever fail. In most cases the oil lines fall off. I safety wire my lines so they won't fall off. His take on it was that unless you are running a highly modified engine or using oil that doesn't work with injection pumps like Maxima Castor 927, it's not worth the trouble to premix. Prefixing does guarantee that your ratio will be consistent as long as you don't screw up the mix! I didn't notice any difference between premixing vs the stock pump. Running it stock is so much easier. Just load up with fuel and 2 stroke oil in the reservoir and go! Quite honestly, I got more bang for my buck by running 93 octane vs 87. I believe he said to run 40:1 if you premix.

+1
    I'm leaning towards leaving it alone (and re-checking the hose connections) and was wondering what others do. Thanks again for your input !

+1
    I was premix on my old raider. Kind of a PITA as I filled up on the water. Storage was minimal & even carrying 1L was tight. plus if it was wavy out, pouring in the oil at the fueling dock could get messy.

When I got my XLT, I left the pump in for reasons stated above(convenience) but made sure to replace the oil line zip ties with SS clamps. after 150+hrs I may reconsider the life of the pump, but for now, It's staying.
    Less smokey, less hassle.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Going the premix route gets old VERY fast. if your pump is working, do like Raider mentioned. Replace the lines and clamps and just enjoy.

+1
    I own 4. I typed it right......4! I put my injection system back on all mine. You never know how much of a PITA premix is until you try and run multiple skis. Upgrade to high quality 1/8 inch tygon, cinch it down with SS oetiker clamps, and enjoy the convenience AND reliability!

Thread Information