Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Salt water vs fresh water used ski purchase

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and new to the whole PWC "scene", and could use some help from the posters in this very informative forum that I've been reading through for several days.

I have the ability to buy a 2009 Seadoo RTX-X with trailer, life jackets, etc for $5800. The ski was professionally maintained, flushed after every use, and is owned by people in their early 60s. I don't know the ski, (don't know the hours) but I know the family, they take care of their things.

My question for you all revolves around salt water, which is what this ski has mostly seen. How much of a concern should that be for me? If I purchase it, we will use it for fresh water only, but I've heard horror stories about salt water. Is that just me being paranoid?

Last - think thats a good price?

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. Well knowing the hours does mean a lot ... however, given the history of the riders I would say maybe not much for this ski. However, salt is a killer to all marine machines if not handled properly. Cleaning & lubricating, etc. On the face of it I would say the price sounds very reasonable if the ski proves to be clean & regular maintenance was performed. I am sure some Sea Doo ocean riders on here can answer better than I on what to look for when you see & run this ski before you purchase .... SC bearings, etc. Good Luck & ride safely

+1
    I've owned 2 salt water skis and they are a PITA to work on

4. +1 by:

+1
    Also that price is excellent.

+1
    look at the motor mounts, the SC impeller and around at all electronics and that will tell you if they really maintained it. No one can tell my ski is 100% salt. Salt away and a lot of time and protectants/lubricants are needed

7. +1 by:

+1
    I have seen 6 month old salt water driven machines have corrosion FAR beyond a fresh water only 15 yr old machine. Salt can do its work FAST, but can be controlled as mentioned above by others. There are many expensive parts on that machine and much more difficult to work on than an old school 2 stroke, so really check it over.

A fresh water only clean 08 RXTX w. trailer around here would bring $8K +/- 1 depending the time of year-- if you could even find 1.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I've only owned salt water skis for years. Never any problems attributed to salt thanks to flush, wash & lubrication after EVERY ride.

Ever since my dad bought a used boat from Florida and had constant problems with it, I've always said never buy anything used that's been in saltwater.

+1
    Great price on a near bullet proof machine.

Check on the # of hrs.
    Salt water machines just tend to be a little bit harder to fix due to corrosion if they were not properly cared for.
    Compression test and ride anything your looking to buy.

+1
    I only ride in salt water. Check inside engine bay for any signs of rust...might find some at hood mechanism at the area near the hull, this is ok. Remove the engine cover and search for salt leftovers..also take out the spark plugs and check for rust or salt leftovers both at the spark plugs and the area they screw in. The reason is that the seat has some holes underneath for water to drain. This water, drops to the engine and finds its way under the engine cover. If these places are clean you are good to go. Finally inspect the pump area..if a ski is not properly maintained, the metallic parts will have sights of salt worn out .... Feel free to ask. To give you an idea, my ski is a 2007 RXT, 7 years of salt water use and zero problems..if the ski is sprayed and washed after every ride you ll have no problems. Here is mine..like new haha
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4017839_0_b.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	325156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4017839_2_b.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	325157
    Last edited by Sigmarxt; 03-22-2014 at 04:43 PM.

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information